How do I eat healthier without emptying my wallet?

Dreamer_24

Dec 2, 2008
I have been trying to get back into shape and eat healthier, but money has been really tight lately and I can't afford to always by fresh fruits and veggies, and other expensive health foods. All i have been eating lately is pasta, hamburger helpers, canned food, pizza, cereal, and basically anything easy and cheap. It is not a very healthy diet and it make it hard to lose Weight, and I probably do not get any nutrients from this current diet. I would like to know if anyone has any tips on how to improve my diet without going broke. I usually cook for two.

^nice sales pitch.ppsshhh
canned beans
canned veggies
canned fruits
(rinse canned foods to reduce sodium)
frozen fruit and veggies
buy wheat pasta and brown rice, you will get used to the difference
learn how to make your own soups
buy inexpensive cuts of meats that can be used in stews or cassaroles. i like roasts and canned tuna.
take advantage of specials and coupons
make sure you are storing your fruits/veggies correctly: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1103

you dont have to buy organic ... the other day i bought 6 big apples for $2! the thing is that you're buying already cooked food ... in other words ... youre buying processed foods ... which are VERY VERY bad if you're trying to eat healthy ... now if you would buy and build from scratch not only will it be cheaper ... but also less calories and better for your health ... it may seem a bit more costly the first time you buy because you have to buy the pasta and the sauces plus fresh veggies and fruits and spices ... but restocking it always cheaper than buying those already cooked unhealthy meals! good luck ...

you dont have to buy organic ... the other day i bought 6 big apples for $2! the thing is that you're buying already cooked food ... in other words ... youre buying processed foods ... which are VERY VERY bad if you're trying to eat healthy ... now if you would buy and build from scratch not only will it be cheaper ... but also less calories and better for your health ... it may seem a bit more costly the first time you buy because you have to buy the pasta and the sauces plus fresh veggies and fruits and spices ... but restocking it always cheaper than buying those already cooked unhealthy meals! good luck ...

Back