How do Atheists counter this Christian argument?

MinaMurphy

Mar 6, 2011
There is one legend told of Augustine which has comforted many hearts when puzzling questions have arisen and it has seemed so difficult to understand all the Bible teaches us about our Father in heaven.

They say that once when this great father of the Church was walking along by the seashore, troubled and perplexed because he could not understand many things about God, he came upon a little child playing there alone. The child had digged a hole in the sand and was carefully filling it with water which he brought from the sea in a spoon. The bishop stopped and watched him for a while and then he asked:

What art thou doing, my child?

I mean to empty the sea into my hole, answered the child, busily going backwards and forwards with his spoon.

[61] But that is impossible, said the bishop.

Not more impossible than that thy human mind should understand the mind of God, said the child, gazing upwards at him with grave, sweet eyes.

And before the bishop could answer the child had vanished, and the saint knew that God had sent him as an answer to his troubled thoughts, and as a rebuke for his trying to understand the things that only God could know.

Back