How comparable are Dirtbikes to Snowmobiles in terms of CCs?

jesse1

May 15, 2008
I am interested in getting a dualsport dirtbike and am wondering what size engine would be a good starting point. I have no experience with motorcycles but I do have experience with snowmobiles and in that case a 330 felt like it did not have enough power and a 550 had pretty much the perfect amount. A bike I was looking at is only a 250 and I am wondering where that will fall in terms of power. I guess what I really want to know is, to get a bike with as much take off as the 550 snowmobile would I need around the same size bike? Thanks in advance.

Well if you have NO experience on a motorcycle, don't get one if those new EFI 250's. they are powerful. I'd recommend like an xr250 or another air cooled 250

Well snowmobiles and dirt bikes both come in a variety of sizes, different sizes for different purposes.

A dual-sport bike is a compromise, meant to perform well on pavement or dirt, not specifically designed for either. As you might expect, some are more for the road, meant to be taken off road only occasionally, and some are mostly for the dirt, just barely road-legal.

So it depends on how you see yourself riding. If you're just riding on dirt you will very seldom go faster than about 30 mph, so a 250 is plenty big enough, especially because you want something light and maneuverable. If you plan to use it mostly on the road, and you need to ride on highways at 60mph+ for long distances, then 650cc is a better size. A 250 can't cruise at highway speeds, you need at least 500cc. Of course a bike that big is not optimum on dirt.

Dirt bikes have long suspension travel, so they tend to be very tall, the seat high off the ground. So they're not good for the 'inseam challenged', because you want to be able to sit on a bike with both feet flat on the ground. And this is especially important if you're a beginner. I'm 6' and I've sat on dual sports that even I couldn't 'flatfoot'!

Not at all alike. CCs are only half of what matters. Gearing is just as important and snowmobiles tend to be geared very differently than a bike.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 500....even for a beginner. Engines of the same CCs all make similar power regardless of what they're powering.

Back