How can I put 34GB of MPEG-2 formatted video files on one DVD?

ac26xp

Feb 9, 2009
I guess this is what I don't understand:

The Top Gun "widescreen" movie (which is about 2 hours) uses 8.5GB on a (dual layer) DVD. Am I correct in assuming that?

But yet I have a project rendered in MPEG-2 format that is less than an hour long and is 34GB large, and I am beginning to understand that (no matter what DVD authoring software I use) it cannot be compressed or formatted (and still retain the video quality that the Top Gun movie apparently has) onto one DVD.

Why?

How does that Top Gun movie that is 2 hours long fit on one DVD?

I understand (I think) the difference between commercial movies being pressed onto DVDs and me "burning/lasering" an MPEG-2 file onto a DVD, but does pressing really make that much of a difference on how much video can go on a DVD?

Thanks again for your patience in answering my questions.

AC

You can buy special data cds for your files to be stored on but otherwise it's never going to happen.

You can buy special data cds for your files to be stored on but otherwise it's never going to happen.

You should try to change the format from MPEG-2 to an iso file or a zip file using winrar(free program) or some other program. Just 'google' changing from MPEG to iso file and you will find free software. It would also help to get a double-layer Blu-ray disc which has 50 GB.

Back