How can I embrace my Hebrew roots without practicing Judaism as a religion?

WildSage

Jun 21, 2008
I am from an interfaith family. My mother is an Ashkenazi (Eastern European) Jew and my father is an Italian Catholic. My sister and I were raised Catholic but we were also exposed to Judaism. We went to church with my dad every Sunday, we were baptized, we went to CCD, we had our First Communions and Confirmations, and we celebrated Christmas and Easter. However, we also went to a Jewish camp in the summers, occasionally went to synagogue with our mother, and celebrated Passover, Hanukkah, Purim, and Rosh Hashana.
As adults, my sister chose to practice Judaism as a religion, while I chose to remain in the Catholic faith. I am happy practicing Catholicism and I have no desire to convert to any other religion.

Recently, I have decided that I want to learn more about my Hebrew roots and celebrate my Askanazi ethnicity, but without practicing Judaism as a religion. I could celebrate my Italian heritage without being a practicing Catholic, so why can't I celebrate my Hebrew heritage without being a practicing Jew? And how do I go about learning more about my Jewish roots and connecting to the Hebrew side of my heritage while still practicing Catholicism? Is such a thing even possible?
I posed a similar question and some people said that I can't be a "cultural Jew" and practice Catholicism as a faith. So I'm slightly rewording this question.
To the person with the Greek name: Catholics ARE Christians, and I have no desire to convert to your branch of Christianity, either. I want to remain a Catholic Christian. Also, if I can't call any man "father," then how should I refer to my dad?

Back