How can I bypass the ignition on my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee? (NOT HOTWIRE)?

yourlastfate

Dec 8, 2010
Before we get started, this IS my truck and I have the paperwork to prove it, this is for my personal uses and will not be used to commit any crimes of any sort (this is stated for everyone who will respond stating that they will not help me steal a truck)

I want to set up a way to start my truck and keep it running without the key in the ignition... Here is what I would like to see:

1. A controller of sorts with an On/Off switch for the ignition and a momentary button for the starter
2. A harness to attach this Controller so that nobody else can start the vehicle without the key
3. A safety so that if the controller becomes disconnected, the vehicle shuts off

I can get the supplies as far as the harness and switches go, but I dont know how to set it up to work properly or what gauge wires I need or what the switches should be rated for...

I was able to find a complete wiring diagram (unfourtinantally needs to be downloaded, but its a pdf in a zip file) at this website:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dey1jnvrvjb

Pages 44-46 (8W-10-24 through 8W-10-26) directly depict the ignition switch

It seems simple enough to me, It looks like I just need to take the Red wire and hook it to one side of the toggle switch and the Red and Black wire and hook it to the other end, and hook the Red wire and Yellow wire to the momentary switch (starter), but will any of this damage the vehicle? And will this unlock the steering wheel solinoid lock? (I will not damage the wheel lock, I want it to unlock itself, because I dont want to make the vehicle overly prone to theft)

I do have an anti-theft device, its an Autopage rs-603, which has an autostart feature (im not sure if this is important but I figured it needed to be mentioned)

Any/all help would be greatly appriciated
The truck has a remote start already installed but I want to be able to start the vehicle and move it without the keys or remote (I like doing projects, gives me a chance to learn, I just installed a button to turn on the auto start while the vehicle is running (instead of using the remote while its running) so I can remove the key without it shutting off, I just want to try something different and unique... I have another question about wiring up a new lock/unlock switch posted separately if anyone would be able to help me with that (a little more important to me than this question but is something Im interested in none the less)
Here's the link:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkrfDNQG_WSOs6gy7GTxrrnty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20101208002721AAIE1M5

Back