Helix piercings not healed after 9 months :(?

Ghan

Dec 8, 2010
So I got my cartilage pierced in two places in my right ear in March. Helix piercings to be precise. I went to a professional piercing parlour, and the piercers used needles, autoclave-d instruments, and I went the extra mile and got titanium earrings (er, bars, the jewelery is surgical grade titanium, anyway), because my body is a bit retarded when it comes to healing.

I'm not sure the exact length of the barbells I have in at the moment, but they're over, or at least, 10 mm long. Up until a few weeks ago, the piercings were finally seeming to (almost) be healed, but then I had my hair dyed, and I guess some of the dye got on the piercings and irritated them, so now they're swollen and irritated (and irritating) again.

I'm just hoping for any tips/experience people might have with helix piercings. My cleaning regime is 2 teaspoons of salt into a cup of boiling water, cotton balls dipped in the solution placed on the ear for 10 minutes, and then cleaning the area further with the saline solution with a cotton bud after the 10 minutes.

I really just want these healed, because it's summer and I want to be able to go swimming!

(Also I'm considering changing to a captive bead type titanium piercing to see if that would help with the healing. Any opinions on captive bead vs barbell for healing times?)

Back