Health Weekender: Enjoy asparagus

M_Smith

Jun 18, 2007
Health Weekender: Enjoy asparagus

[SIZE=-1]Spring is in full swing, and for me that means that my local farmer?s market is coming alive with the best seasonal vegetables. I live in Brooklyn, NY, and we have a great Greenmarket that brings locally-grown produce to the neighborhood.

I?m not an absolutist locavore. When I need a tomato in the winter, I get one from the grocery store that is likely shipped from California or Mexico. But when the vegetables are in season locally, I can?t get enough of them. They?re the freshest you?re likely to get, and buying in season often costs less. Buying locally cuts down on packaging and fuel used for shipping, and supporting the farmers in your area is a good way to promote your local economy, too.

One vegetable that is currently peaking in most places and is loaded with nutrients is asparagus. One cup of raw asparagus is less than 30 calories, and it?s a good source of dietary fiber, folate, vitamin C, vitamin*A and*iron.

And that?s just the nutrients we know about. Scientists believe there are thousands of micronutrients in foods that we know little to nothing about, which underscores the importance of eating a diverse diet.

Choosing: The New Wellness Encyclopedia, from the University of California Berkeley, says to choose bright green asparagus, with compact pointed tips. Round stalks are best?flat stalks can get tough and stringy. They are best preserved at the market in several inches of cold water or refrigerated.

Storing: Asparagus is best within a few days of purchase. It can deteriorate quickly, losing both nutrients and flavor, according to the New Wellness Encyclopedia. Wrap the base with a damp paper towel and store in the crisper.

Preparing: Because of its strong flavor, asparagus is great simply prepared. I like to sauté it in olive oil with just a touch of minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Ginger and lemon also make nice touches. Generally you?d trim the stems before cooking?snap them like a twig, and they?ll usually break at the right spot. But the Nutrition Action Healthletter notes that peeling the outer layer of skin on the tough bottom stem, instead of removing it, will allow it to cook through and increase your asparagus yield. Mark Bittman, a food writer at the New York Times, recommends peeling all the skin below the tips on the more rotund variety to keep the spears from getting soggy.

This is the first column in our new Weekender series designed to bring you healthy lifestyle tips about seasonal food, fun, travel and more. And we want to hear from you too. Do you like asparagus? Share your tips and recipes in the comments. And let us know what topics you?d like to see covered here in the future.

?Kevin McCarthy, associate editor

You can find a Greenmarket or farmer?s market near you. And for more on the environmental benefits of local foods, visit our sister site, greenerchoices.org.

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Subscribe now![/SIZE]
Subscribe to [SIZE=-1]ConsumerReports.org[/SIZE] for expert Ratings, buying advice and reliability on hundreds of products. [SIZE=-1]Update your feed preferences[/SIZE]
health_weekender_enjoy_asparagus__376946517

Back