Great condition 1983 Porsche 944 as a first car?

Oldguy1

Sep 5, 2008
I had an 85 1/2 944; it's an expensive toy, trust me. Fun car to drive, but death on a kid's budget.
Insurance may be an issue also, so check with your insurer. Good luck...

I'm 16 looking for a first car and I came across a 1983 Porsche 944 with only 4100 miles on it for only $5000. The owner bought it, kept it in his garage, but now it's time for him to get rid of it. This seems like an unbelieveable deal but I also have to pay for fuel, insurance, etc. So I need to know, is this a good choice for a first car? Especially for a kid who makes a decent amount of money but definitely isn't rich?

The 944 is big trouble. My friend's son bought one for $5000 and he was warned the head gasket was leaking. It was, but not too badly at first. It got worse and had to be replaced. Funny thing about Porsches - milling the head is not approved. Rather than spend the $2000 for a replacement head, he had it milled and bought a special head gasket to make the difference (can only be done once). A few months later a heater hose blew on the highway and the head was warped again. At that point the car was no longer worth the cost of repair.

Back