Good bike for a beginning rider?

cameronemitchell

Nov 9, 2011
I've been interested for a while in actually learning to ride, and I was curious as to what kind of bike would be a good one to start on? I've already done some research about classes and stuff, but this is the only think i'm unsure of. On a side note, how bad of an idea would it be for me to try and start on a Yamaha FZ1? Any other advice is welcome that pertains to a beginning rider.

I miss my old Honda 350cc twin. Nice size: easy to control, light weight, but enough power to go on the highway.

I started off riding a Yamaha Virago 535 and it was a great first bike. Only issues were in the cold it had trouble starting up sometimes. I'm moving to the sport bikes now, but that was just enough power for me.

Sport bikes I'd recommend the Ninja 250. That's what I'm looking for now. It's a good bike to learn cornering on, something you'd have more trouble doing on a 600. Get the foundation down first, then you can move up.

A *good* start would be a SYM Symba, a clone of the Honda Super Cub.

No one wants to start with a light, low speed motorcycle. Everyone wants to have fun, speeding in streets without yet knowing they are invisible. In England you are required to ride a 125cc class to start.

Whatever! Motorcycle accidents are now three times deadlier than of accidents in the late '60's - early '70's. No one cares. They suggest you can start with a big bike, like a 350 pound 250cc 100 mph Sporty Bike -- let alone a liter racing motorcycle.

Advice? On a motorcycle you are invisible. That is ride as if your invisible -- you *ARE* invisible. If you do not dodge and avoid collisions you *will* be hit and you *will* be hurt. "Gear" can only do so much. If you trust your "gear" you will be hurt/killed. If you want to be "safe" you have to learn how to avoid collisions. It can be done, mostly.

Back