Getting to know some of the top prospects in the 2014 draft

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
Your browser does not support iframes.
The MLB Network and MLB.com conducted quick interviews with 22 of the top prospects in the draft, which happens Thursday night, and some of the answers were quite funny. Left-hander Carlos Rodon of North Carolina State and right-hander Luke Weaver of Florida State came across as clever, and several of the players admit to superstitions that are just plain silly — not that they're going to change them. It's definitely debatable if any of the players have singing or rapping abilities. If they're going to entertain professionally, they had better be good at baseball.
It's going to be intriguing to see which of these players become great major leaguers, but for the moment the draft is a time for all of them get some attention.
WHAT ARE YOUR SUPERSTITIONS?
Carlos Rodon: "You can’t touch that chalk line, that’s for sure."
Derek Hill, outfielder, Elk Grove (Calif.) H.S.: "I can’t look at airplanes."
Jakson Reetz, catcher, Norris (Neb.) H.S.: "I can’t tell my superstitions, because that’s one of my superstitions."
Luke Weaver: "I spit up in the air and as it comes down, I stare right at the batter. It’s an intimidating tactic — I don’t think it works though."
WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DO YOU LISTEN TO?
Carlos Rodon: "Anything and everything. [Sings] 'Start spreading the news…' [and] Beastie Boys’ 'Girls.' "
Luke Weaver: "Selena Gomez... maybe some Celine Dion."
Bradley Zimmer, outfielder, University of San Francisco: “ 'Wide Awake,' ” by Katy Perry.” [Sings] “I’m wide awake…”
WHO DO YOU MODEL YOUR GAME AFTER?
Grant Holmes, right-hander, Conway (S.C.) H.S.: "Craig Kimbrel. He’s a bulldog and he goes after batters."
Brady Aiken, left-hander, Cathedral Catholic H.S. in California: "David Price."
Justus Sheffield, left-hander, Tullahoma (Tenn.) H.S.: "David Price."
Carlos Rodon: Clayton Kershaw and Sandy Koufax. Kershaw’s going to be an All-Star and you already know about Koufax.
Touki Toussaint, right-hander, Coral Springs (Fla.) Christian Academy. "I model my game after Jackie Robinson."
Nick Burdi, right-hander, University of Louisville: "I model my game after probably Aroldis Chapman. [I can’t throw] that hard, but I’m getting there."
Bradley Zimmer: "Carlos Gonzalez. I think he’s an all-around stud, he’s a five-tool player and he hits bombs."
Jacob Gatewood, shortstop, Clovis (Calif.) H.S.: "Troy Tulowitzki. He plays the game hard, just like I try to do."
Luke Weaver: "I model my baseball game after Jered Weaver. No relation, but we could be bro’s one day, but that’s his decision."
WHAT DO YOU DO IN YOUR SPARE TIME?

Luke Weaver: "I’m an avid bird watcher."
Carlos Rodon: "Karaoke, sometimes. Tuesday night in the Wolf Den."
Braxton Davidson, outfielder, T.C. Roberson H.S. in North Carolina: "Trout fishing, bass fishing, catfishing, I go noodling."
Foster Griffin, left-hander, The First Academy in Florida: "I do a lot more fishing than I do catching."
Brady Aiken: "When I’m not playing baseball, I usually surf."
Tyler Beede, right-hander, Vanderbilt: "I pride myself on my rapping ability. [Raps] “Probably gonna eat some sushi / Nothin’ rhymes with sushi…”
Happy draft day, boys.
More MLB coverage at Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -
David Brown is an editor for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter!Follow @AnswerDave

Back