From the logbook?BMW 135i

M_Smith

Jun 18, 2007
From the logbook?BMW 135i
[SIZE=-1]Three of us here at the Connecticut track have owned BMWs, as well as Jeff Bartlett in the New York editorial offices. (Personally, I came close more than once, but I suffer from that common engineer mutation where my arms can't quite reach the wallet in my pants pocket.) Interestingly, all four of them were 3 Series coupes, cars that sacrifice some practicality but emphasize the joy of driving.
Don't think that this stops us from being critical of some of BMW's recent efforts. We're chagrined that the current 5 Series doesn?t handle quite as sharply as the previous generation; when we tested that 2001 530i, it was our top-scoring sedan. We've also been frustrated by BMW's infatuation with overly complicated controls. Even if you skip the distracting iDrive, which one of us deemed similar to "using Windows at 65 mph," many of the ancillary controls aren't straight-forward, either. Although debates about BMW?s current styling trends are a staple of Internet forum debate and ire, we're neutral on that.
Beyond the complaints, there is a lot to like about current BMWs. The engines, long a BMW strong point, are smooth and return decent fuel economy and strong acceleration. Handling, also, remains a strong point, as do well-finished interiors and supportive seats.
Distill these virtues down to their essence and you wind up with our 135i. Although BMW pronounces that it is "Year One of the 1" in the car's interior, BMW's entry-level model has been selling in Europe for years. While we only get six-cylinder coupes and convertibles in the U.S., they get other body styles and a wide variety of engines. Our manual-transmission test car is modestly equipped: leatherette seats, sports package, and heated seats.
So how do we like our 1 Series so far? Let's go to the logbook for the team's first impressions:
?Lovely power delivery and torque, smooth and refined.?

?Don?t believe the reports of a small blue BMW drifting through Hartford.?

?Awesome engine, especially above 3,000 rpm. Only complaint is that it is so smooth and quiet that the car lacks the boy-racer character of the Evo and STI.?

?This is strictly a two seat coupe. No rear leg room.?

?Cabin is narrower and tighter than a 3 Series, but what a package of fun and performance.?

?I agree that it costs too much money, rides rough on anything but smooth roads, and that the back seat is useless. I don?t care ? I?d drive this car everyday for the rest of my life.?

?Ride quite choppy but not too punishing.?

?Seat fits me like a glove.?

?I?d be happy with this on an autocross, track day, commute, or a cross-country trip.?

?Seat has tons of adjustment, but no lumbar.?

?A/C struggles to cool the all-black interior.?

?I think this car is magical?the best BMW I?ve ever driven.? [That sentiment was expressed more than once.]

?Certainly not perfect?shifter is a bit "sticky" in feel, stupid BMW controls, needs more lumbar, snug interior.?

?Wow. In this job, I drive some cars I hate, many that I like?but few that I covet. I WANT this car.?

The 135i sure isn't perfect. Nearly $38,000 for a small two-seat coupe with pleather seats is a big pile of money. Our folks with families find that the car is even more impractical than similarly-priced four-door speedsters like the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution or Subaru WRX STI. But how do they stack up when it comes to acceleration, handling, livability?or just plain fun? We'll let you know when we finish testing these cars for the October issue.
?Tom Mutchler
[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Subscribe now![/SIZE]
Subscribe to [SIZE=-1]ConsumerReports.org[/SIZE] for expert Ratings, buying advice and reliability on hundreds of products. [SIZE=-1]Update your feed preferences[/SIZE]
from_the_logbookbmw_135i__760070723

Back