Fixing the thermostat in my 2003 Volkswagen Passat?

frog_smili18

Apr 9, 2012
The thermostat in my 2003 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T is messing up. I have heard that the actual part isn't that expensive but that the process of switching it out can get complicated. I am wondering whether anyone has had this problem and if I should attempt to do it myself or take it to a mechanic. I do NOT want to have to pay for labor. My husband has fixed most problems with my car and would be very able to figure this out if it is not too complicated. Thank you.

It is a bit tricky because you have to remove both Radiator hoses and remove the intake manifold to do this job. You might consider a good flush and fill of coolant instead. By now you have 100,000 miles or so on engine. ONLY genuine VW coolant, (violet/Rose, or Pink) can be used in there! YOu are right, the part is NOT that expensive. ALSO>>>>>realize>>> that only synthetic engine oil with the higher specification numbers 502/505 can be used in your engine. ALL OTHER Engine oils will ruin the timing mechanisms, and cause sludge deposits that will ruin the engine in time, starting with the timing chains and the timing belt. and going on to other parts. NO VALVOLINE may be use4d in that engine EVER!!! Please READ you manual about this. More VW/AUdi engines break down from this than any other thing!!! If you have NOT been using the right engine oil, PLEASE for your own good, get a thorough oil sludge removing treatment, and start using the RIGHT type of oils that only need changing ONCE a YEAR!!! Pentosin oil is the factory fill. Mobil One 0W-40, AMSOIL, Total 5W-40, and a few others. Regular oil will totally rot your turbo charger oil return lines, and dissolve the crankcase ventilation equipment over time. Coke and sludge form in the turbo oil feed and return lines. PLease, TAKE THIS TO HEART!! Removing the intake manifold is EASY and requires only hand tools to get through!! Good luck!!

Back