Enviro/Eco group/speaker taking partial responsibility for the deaths of?

GaryR

May 27, 2008
Enviro/Eco group/speaker taking partial responsibility for the deaths of
American Troops in Iraq.

I'm very curious to find a copy of a speech given on radio, TV, or possibly the Internet by an Enviro/Eco speaker dealing with their groups involvement in pushing to shut down nuclear power generation several decades ago, coupled with their push for clean air restrictions on coal fired power plants. The main emphasis was on the resulting environmental successes, but also mentioned were some of the problematic consequences that followed.

As the gist of the speech was related to me, I realized it was the first and only time I can remember hearing of anyone in the Enviro/Eco movement acknowledge any negative impact of environmental activism, let alone listing several of the possible ramifications that their successful actions likely provoked, or at least, made worse.

Leading the list was the greater dependence on oil, mostly foreign, on which the U.S. has come to depend. And how that dependence led to the invasion of Iraq, if one agrees with their assertion that the war was about oil, not weapons (of mass destruction). Therefore, they bear some responsibility for the deaths of American service men and women.

Next was the effect on carbon dioxide increases leading to global warming, which more nuclear power would have lessened, even given its inherent immediate and long term dangers. Also the increased air pollution, particularly acid rain, from dependence on fossil fuels, notably coal fired plants which were not replaced with nuclear.

Even a reference to the increase in the number and use of gas hungry 4wd SUV's by their supporters, which he, the speaker, admitted included him and his friends, who justified this increase in consumption by their greater utility. He hoped that they, he and his Eco friends, would not continue to follow the party line of denying any level of responsibility, which he likened unto the silence of the Soviet sympathizers of the 30's, 40's and 50's who used silence to deny aiding and abetting Stalin's murderous pogroms and gulags, even after the Soviets, themselves, made some of details and numbers (of deaths) public.

And finally, an acknowledgment of responsibility for helping create the current world food crisis, affecting especially the poor, which was not intended but could has been foreseen as they pushed for a switch from fossil fuels to renewable ones. This switch caused farmers, even if they planted more crops, to divert an increasing proportion into fuel use and thus less for food consumption, which, exacerbated by the current steep rise in fuel prices, has led to a direct competitive rise in world food prices.

I have been told that the above is a fairly faithful summary of what was presented. I would like to find some documentation of where and when this speech was given, by whom, and for what purpose. (Possibly about a book on the subject?) Any help or advice on the who, what, where, and why would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Gary Ruble

Back