England is Vanishing

what, so as people who earn over minimum wage, we have to support people who can't even be bothered to try to get a better job?

Screw that. I'm not responsible for other people's lack of ambition.

The way to combat that problem is to remove benefits, not raise the minimum wage.

If she can live on benefits, she can live on the minimum wage. She's choosing to take the benefits because she's too lazy to work. I have no moral problem withdrawing income support for people like that.

As far as living in London, there's just too much demand for living space. That's why improving the transport system in the southeast is so vital. The underground and buses in London are undeniably running better than they were 10 years ago.

If you combine that with a decent rail network, it means the housing supply problem can be spread to other areas... like if you can commute into London from Brighton in under an hour, then people working in London can then realistically live in Brighton. The result is Brighton takes some of the increasing house price 'load'.

I believe a never ending program of improvement to transport is key to tackling rising house prices.

I would also like to add to the fact that some young people (16+) go to college to study. Now some of these people are only at college because of EMA. Now my question with this is some of these peoples only reason for going to college is for an extra £30 a week and £100 bonus' every now and then.

So is EMA the right approach? Although it does mean more people are going to college it doesn't mean more people are actually working hard or doing anything while they're there.

Also is it fair that people such as me, who's parents earn just over the amount the government says is 'too much' to recieve it don't get it at all? I mean just because my parents earn 'more' doesn't mean they have 'more' to give to me?

Although having said that i do like the idea of EMA as it does help out some people who actually need it but still want to study and go to college.

Also does anyone think that the 'boom' of large business' taking over every aspect of business is ruining smaller companies?

For example, when im in nottingham town centre, or even other places that have shops i see a new store open practically every week. Then i see the same store close after a month sometimes less. So should there be more opportunity for smaller companies to earn money or is it right that the big companies are just getting bigger?

The latter as it doesnt effect just England is a tad off topic, but as i am going to college studying IT and business and hope to go to university for a business, accounts, finance and IT course [if i can find one that does all, if not something out of the list] it would effect me if i wanted to open my own business.

No, but I strongly believe in taxing everyone (including me) to help those in need - including those who for whatever reason can't find work. This leaves the system open to abuse, but I think it's better that this abuse occurs than to risk not supporting the people who genuinely need it.

That doesn't mean that the reason behind the abuse is that the 'minimum wage is too damn minimum.'

People who are to lazy or too incompetent to find well-paid work shouldn't be rewarded by forcing employers to pay them more - that's just giving them the same benefits but under a different name.

There's a reason minimum wage jobs pay so poorly - a trained monkey could do them. I believe it's up to the individual to find a niche for whatever skillset they possess... and if it's a skillset that isn't highly rewarded by society, the individual has to find a way to make it economic for them to earn a living that way. Otherwise we're heading into a mode where people will essentially be getting paid for tasks as socially useful as pushing paperclips around a desk, simply because we think it's better they should be doing something.

On the other hand I believe to some extent in socialized education... as industry as a whole becomes increasingly automated, proportionately increasing the base-level of education of the populace is a good way of ensuring people can still find themselves useful work.

I think it's important to maintain a sense of perspective here. We all know that there are those who milk the benefits system, but as a proportion of the overall population it must be extremely small.

Although it's pretty galling for the vast majority of us who pay our taxes and get relatively little in return, in a sense the benefit scroungers are just 'playing the system' much like the 'tax exiles' and all the wealthy people who pay accountants a packet to help them find loopholes to pay less tax.

And speaking of maintaining a sense of perspective, the author of the article in the original post stated that 500,000+ people had left this country, and 200,000 had arrived. Pretty small beer in a country of about 50 million people, I'd say!

Refer to my earlier post... there's no moral reason someone earning £200k should have to pay more tax than someone on £12k or below, except for their own generosity in supporting those less well off than themselves.

To put it another way, benefit scroungers milk the system... the wealthy are simply trying to donate less of their own milk, that they got from a cow they bought with their own money, and raised from a calf by their own efforts. The two are by no means equivalent.

To be honest, i don't feel my life has changed in the slightest regarding the above points mentioned in the article.

You seem to be making the assumption that people automatically 'deserve' what they are paid.

To take a fairly extreme example, a top Premiership footballer can coofftopicnd a wage in excess of £100,000 a week. Has he really earned it?

I'd say people 'play the system' in lots of different ways.

On Topic..

A college teacher of mine told me that a student whom spent his first year messing around and doing nothing has just been accepted into Nottingham University. Now this may not seem like a big deal to you guys but Nottingham University is one of the 'best' universities in England (Apparantly) its almost like being accepted into Harvard or Wherever.

Now, when i asked how he could get in my teacher replied that his application form must have been good as universities so long as your likely to get the grades required won't not let you in based on grade.

So when i asked how it worked i was told that the personal statement and reviews of teachers etc builds up into your profile in which teachers make a judgement based on that.

However, i was also told that Nottingham univeristy has to have a 'quota' for foreign candidates. Meaning they have to let in so many people from 'multi-cultural' backgrounds and different religions.

Now what do you people think to this? I personally think that it shouldnt matter about race or religion based on whether you get into a university or not. Ofcourse you need criteria especially for very popular courses but shouldn't the personal statement, reviews by teachers and your grades be enough to put you in stead with whether you get accepted or not?

Although im not sure how the above works as i always thought it was more based on a 'first come first serve' style basis along side the grades and profile structure.

Ok, well Notts isn't the equivalent of Harvard for a start.
Universities often make decisions based on references, personal statements and the interview, and sometimes even on other things like sporting ability (Loughborough is the main culprit for that). But there is no foundation in the idea that race or religion is going to come into it. Its rubbish quite frankly. Universities are only interested in maintaining their reputation, and there is no way an admission tutor is going to be bullied into taking a lesser candidate because of the colour of their skin.

Well, the first part is your general opinion, but i was always under the impression it was a very hard uni to get in and was very high standard.

To the race religion section, thats what i thought but i wanted a view on what other people thought. Especially those who teach within universities.

I would like to say though that the teacher in question has been removed from teaching for quite a few reasons, that could possibly be one of them (Making claims of unfair acceptance into uni because of race/religion) But i know of ATLEAST 3 other reasons.

Well you have to remember, she's a single mother with a 6 year old daughter. She starts working, a lot of the benefits she is recieving go down the tube. earning only minimum wage would then mean she could possibly afford a cardboard box for her kid and her to live in.

You can't just abolish benefits altogether, there has to be a system of encouragment (e.g. tax breaks for those getting back into work and out of benefits, so the sting isn't so painful so to speak). But then again, there are plenty of lazy people who just plain do not deserve benefits. There should be tighter stipulations on who qualifies for such benefits.

But then again, with all of the new manual labourers coming in to the country, undercutting a lot of the construction labourers by 20-30%, and this influx not being very tightly controlled or regulated (A number of criminal elements have come in with them), how are the people who would be getting off benefits get a job?

It's a real catch-22 situation the government has placed upon the tax-payers shoulders and no one has any say in the matter.

In a couple of years anyone with children over 7 will have their benefits cut if they do not get a job or activly seek work. It's about to become law at 12, then the age will drop to 7

Back