DVD drive doesn't read blank media?

Dee82

Nov 17, 2008
I have a Fujitsu laptop, running Vista, with Hitachi and Matshita drives. Recently, my dvd drive has stopped recognizing blank dvds. It whirs for several seconds and then the drive thinks it’s empty. It plays all other DVDs, including data disks previously written by me, so I don’t believe this is a hardware issue. It’s driving me crazy not being able to figure out what could be causing this problem.

If anyone has experience with a fix that I haven’t tried or knows of a good tech site where I may repost this, I would greatly appreciate it.
I really think it's a matter of some setting or software conflict because it plays everything else fine.

What I have already tried, to no avail: updating the driver (comp says it’s up to date), disabling, and uninstalling it. The registry fix of deleting the upper / lower filters. Cleaning the registry with Ccleaner. The Microsoft drive fixit application.
There were no programs or Windows updates installed in between the drive accepting blank media and not, but I have uninstalled anything I could think of that may cause conflict.
(The device properties tell me it’s “working properly,” and also, I have checked the “recording” tab for anything I can change.)

Also, I have, since this problem began (sometime after mid-June), tried 4 different brands of blank disks, including the one I have been using when everything was fine.

Please help! Any new idea would be awesome.

laptops don't have burner install some do, they have cd/rw, only can burn cd/rw only, u put blank dvd in it can read cause nothing on it, go to Direct X Diagnostic tool, in system info.& CCleaner can over clean some drivers it thinks r bad, reg defrager ASC5, if u r sure it can burn dvd's, then it the drivers ccleaner has deleted, when u go to system info, then hardware, stroll down to the player & it they r yellow ! mark its the drivers, right click on the player & ur see the drivers, U can roll back drivers, or search for new drivers, it will go on the web download & install them, when it ask say yes...now u know pass it on

Back