DVD BURNER question.. Help?

Crystal

May 13, 2008
Im using my laptop, and it came with Windows Dvd Maker, it was working just fine and now im going to burn a file on a dvd and it says "A DVD burner was not found make sure a burner is connected or intalled" How do i check if its installed? Because i know i have one. Could it be the dvd? HELLPP :((

Hi Crystal. I have never used Windows DVD Maker but I took a look at it and here's what I can offer to check it out.

First, let's make sure you do have a DVD drive recognized by Windows. Click start and go to Computer, in the list of items on the right side of the start menu. When you get to the folder you should see two groups. The one you want to see is "Devices with Removable Storage". Your drive should be listed there, perhaps as D:\ or E:\ If not, then we have a bigger problem.

If you saw your drive then when you go to Windows DVD Maker check to make sure that drive is available from your drop-down the top right of the program. If you don't see it, but you did see it in your "Computer", we again have a bigger problem.

I don't know what you are burning to a DVD or CD but seems like Windows DVD Maker is more for Photos and Video. If it's just a file or files that you want to burn try using Windows Explorer and selecting what you want to put on the Disc. Once everything is selected there should be a Burn option on the menu bar. For an easy to see example just open "Documents" and you should see the Burn option there. This will create a new DVD or CD with the files you have selected. You may need to make some choices like whether to close the session or not. Read the help on it if you need to.

If none of this has worked or you don't see your drive at all then you may need to contact support for your laptop. I don't know who made it and I don't know how old it is but it may have a failed drive or other installation problem with the drive. The manufacturer may be the option you need to go with...

Update your question if you have more information or don't know what to do based on this and maybe I can help more. Hope it helps!

Back