Doughty, Carter appreciate local flavor of NHL All-Star Weekend

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
4b9e97eb10a298a1af9921bb1b986255
Drew Doughty of the Los Angeles Kings, rapper Snoop Dogg and Jeff Carter of the Los Angeles Kings pose for a photo in the locker rom prior to the the 2017 Coors Light NHL All-Star Skills Competition at Staples Center on January 28, 2017 in Los Angeles, California. (Getty Images) LOS ANGELES – Drew Doughty couldn’t figure out recommendations for where to guide players visiting Los Angeles for the NHL’s All-Star Weekend.
When they would ask the Los Angeles Kings defenseman, Doughty often found himself stumped.
“I used to be kind of dialed in back in the day but I kind of lost all my contacts and stuff like that so I kind of disappointed a lot people I think,” Doughty said. “I just didn’t know where to send them so I was basically asking other people like, ‘I don’t know where to go where should I tell these people?’ So that’s how it kind of got figured out.”
[Newsletter: Get 5 great stories from the Yahoo Sports blogs in your inbox every morning!]
Really this was the only issue for Doughty who along with Jeff Carter, was part of the hometown contingent at this year’s game. They were treated like some of the biggest hockey celebrities throughout the weekend, and even won over some rivals who played with them on the Pacific Division team.
“They’re all good dudes. You meet that person behind the player and to be able to play all-star game with some of the skill, it was pretty special,” said Anaheim Ducks forward Ryan Kesler.
Added Ducks defenseman Cam Fowler, “This whole weekend was really the first time I got to talk with them and interact with them and that was something that was exciting for me because they’re guys I admire and what they’ve accomplished in the league.”
In Sunday’s 3-on-3 event, Doughty and Carter each scored one goal and added two assists while being cheered throughout the games, a 10-3 Pacific win over the Central Division and then a 4-3 loss to the Metropolitan Division in the final. It seemed like this was something they truly appreciated.
“It was great. We got a real nice ovation both days (for the skills competition and game) and it was good to see the fans here have something like this and get out and see the talent in the league and stuff like that.” Carter said. “It’s not too often that you get to do that.”
Throughout the season, the Kings have been celebrating their 50th anniversary and the importance of this was noted by the players. Doughty was drafted by the Kings in 2008 and Carter has been with the organization since 2012 and won two Stanley Cups in Los Angeles. Both are alternate captains with the team and pillars in their locker room. Overall they saw the all-star game as another part of LA’s big year.
“It means a lot. We’ve been around for, I think we’re having our 50th anniversary this year so for them to have that along with the 100-year anniversary for the NHL is really special for them and I know that they really wanted this,” Doughty said. “They’ve been talking about it for years. I thought they did a great job and everyone had fun.”
Said Carter, “I know how hard the Kings work and all the effort they put in to everything they do here so it’s nice to see them get recognized and be able to host one and good for the fans to see it, too.”
[Follow Puck Daddy on social media:*Twitter*|*Instagram*|*Facebook*|*Tumblr]
Though the Pacific Division didn’t win the event*at very least they made the final, which gave the locals more time to root for their favorite players. The presence of the Kings in the game got the crowd to cheer for Pacific players*from teams they generally boo – such as the Ducks and San Jose Sharks – because in this event they were all on the same team. It was a strange, but welcome, experience for all-stars from those squads.
“At the end of the day I was on the same team as their Kings guys so I wanted the same thing that they wanted,” Fowler said. “As passionate fans here I expected some boos along the way, but it’s nice to get some cheers too.”
– – – – – – –
Josh Cooper is an editor for Puck Daddy on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @joshuacooper
MORE FROM YAHOO SPORTS

Back