dog was off the lead in the park and attacked a cat in the woods.?

daniel

May 12, 2008
I took my dogs over the park at 7pm when i knew no other dogs would be about so both my dogs could be free off the lead. i had the car headlights shining the majority of the area my dogs were running.

My dogs are very playful and would not harm another dog as far as im aware but never say never with all dogs, if other dogs are in the park I keep them on the lead for safety of them and the other dog as they are quite big boisterious dogs and would hate them to hurt another dog by running into them...

So tonight my lurcher ran over into the woods, I shone the torch i was carrying over and could see him running, next i heard him yelp out, so i left it thinking he had ran into something and would come back, i waited 5 minutes and heard nothing.

I went back to my car turned off the engine and headed back into the park calling both my dogs, I heard my other dog barking and started to run over thinking the other one was hurt. As i got closer the one dog was constantly barking and the other one let out another yelp...

As i got closer both dogs returned to me but the lurcher had blood in his mouth, so i managed to tie the dogs up and noticed that the lurcher has got a cat, it was lying on the ground and was still breathing. Ive googled and cannot find anything, however i had to go the hospital as i was unwell and have been trying to google what to do because the rspca would not come out to a cat that had been hit by a car last year.

Is my dog now classed as dangerous for attacking a cat out in the woods...this is the first time he has done this and never shown agression to my other dog, myself or other dogs or people.

Im his only owner. ive had him since 3 months old he will be 3 this year

lol its a dog aka an animal. they like to chase things and hunt. as long as hes not biting people. its fine, just keep him away from cats

No, your dog isn't 'dangerous' for attacking a cat. Dogs are animals, dogs have prey drive-cats can be seen as prey. If it ran that would have triggered your dog to chase and attack it.

Your dog won't start harming people or other dogs now.

Back