Does the internet help make people petty?

cheap shots are immature and hurtful if your going to fight no hitting below the belt i.e. mean things

I think you might be right. Anonymity does give people a false sense of security.

What doesn't make people think more highly of themselves?

And the internet is basically one in he same as mass media. You see some pretty skinny girl who doesn't eat and everybody wants to be like that.

Every little high school kid takes myspace photo's at angles and with light hitting their bodies in different ways to appear thinner.

The answer is duh, the internet contributes to people being more petty.

I would call it building ignorance rather than being petty though.

Yes it definitively does. But they are petty no matter where they are and sooner or later it catches up. There is no karma but bad karma and the rest is just life.

Not really, I have seen that happen all my life, it is just easier now. If you look at the "Editorial Section" of a newspaper or the gossip that goes around you will realize all that has changed is it is easier to hide, not that anything has changed about people being petty.

that may be petty but it's expression too, something many countries do not allow. many many people cannot express themselves very well or if at all, and feel guilty about it.

I do agree to a point. I use this site a lot purely as I try to help people and it makes me feel better when I do.
But it does make me angry when people make cruel, hurtful remarks for no particular reason.
For some people, they are crying out for help. the last thing they need is some idiot hurling abuse at them.
If you dont have anything positive to say...dont say it, i say.
There! thats me off my soapbox

I do agree to a point. I use this site a lot purely as I try to help people and it makes me feel better when I do.
But it does make me angry when people make cruel, hurtful remarks for no particular reason.
For some people, they are crying out for help. the last thing they need is some idiot hurling abuse at them.
If you dont have anything positive to say...dont say it, i say.
There! thats me off my soapbox

Back