Does anyone have any advice on hiking the Pacific Crest Trail?

garth

Jun 7, 2008
I am looking to hike the Yosemite area for a three to four day hike. What is a good starting point and pick up point going north towards Tahoe? I usually do 1 day hikes this will be the first over night. I do alot of camping, and do have all the light weight equipment that I will need. Any suggestion on food to carry?

Look at on line sites like www.trimbleoutdoors.com. Once signed in you can see all kinds of trips with topo maps for that region. Also dress in layers as it's cold at night (altitude) and hot during the day. Make your own dry foods if you have a dehydrator or buy at places like Big Lots for dry prepared foods rather than paying those ridiculous prices at REI, etc...One of the nice things about that area is it's pretty bug free and will not run into bad weather and rain but be prepared for it!

Personally, I'd forget Yosemite and do the MT. Whitney trip from the Whitney Portals. You don't have the crowds and you don't need to make it to the top (just under 15,000ft). BTW the PCTrail is there too. Also bring a telescopic fishing pole, small #6 trebble hooks and power bait for catching great tasting, little brook trout for the lake just a few miles above the trail head from the Portals campground. Good luck!

Back