dodge dakota cranks but doesn't start?

dulongjm1

Oct 5, 2010
My 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 5.9 V8 has recently stopped without warning. 2 days prior I got an oil change from a local mechanic shop that came highly recommended. Unknown if related. Today my Wife had been sitting in the church parking lot waiting for my child to get out of school. The car had been running straight for approx 1 hr. She turned off the car for about 15 minutes and when she came back it would only crank, but not start.

So far I can hear the fuel pump engage as well as the fuel pump relay. I have sprayed starting fluid into the intake manifold with out success (didn't even attempt to fire). So I don't think it is related to the fuel system.

I checked the ASD relay and that also appears ok (switched it with the towing relay that is the same type of relay).

I don't have the tools to check the wiring, but they look to be new (I bought the truck used last year). I was thinking that it might be the Ignition Coil but unsure. Last time I checked the plugs (May) the plugs looked brand new.

The only problem that I had been having is that it has been leaking coolant for a couple of months now, it is a very small leak. When I got the oil change, they filled my coolant too much and it was leaking out of the radiator cap. When the truck wouldn't start today, I noticed a small pool of coolant under the truck (about one foot in diameter). I don't see how a radiator problem would keep the engine from starting (I would think it would just overheat, then start back up when cooled) but I am not a mechanic, just a guy with a Hayne's manual.

Any ideas on what it could be, please let me know, this truck has run beautifully up until now. Any chance that the mechanic could have done something intentionally or accidentally? Or could this just be purely coincidental?

Back