Do you think that riding with a dog on a mountain bike would be to hard for the dog?

austin

May 16, 2008
I really wanna take my dog on a ride with me on my mountain bike (she'll be running next to me) but do you think that it will be for her to do a long distance? in general. She is a husky/lab 2 years old, in excellent health, the longest i've ever ran with her was 3 miles.
this is a picture of her
http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r102/longhorntex6/?action=view&current=downsize.jpg

not only do i think it would be fine, i am pretty sure your dog would love it ... i have a 14 pound jack russell terrier and she can run for 6 miles around our local park ... she can sometimes run faster than i can bike ... we had to build up to that distance and when she is tired she veers off the path and stops ... i then toss her in the basket but that might be hard with a husky/lab :O)

that is a great way for you to start it of sledging , it is one of the best ways to exercise your dog .
now is the best time to start it , i still have a year and a bit before i can do the same ,
my dogs are only 8 months old , and i wont be exercising them to excess for another year at least

Yes but you need to build her up very gradually, giving rest days to check for stiffness at all.

Don't forget that the lab part of her might mean that her hips are not superb. Just build up slow and hopefully she'll be great.

I think huskies and labs are perfect for mountain biking with. Especially at 2 years old, that sounds like fun for a dog. I tried to bike with my basset hound once, but that didn't work out too well.......

dogs in good health enjoy this - you need to start slow and work up. I would not RUN her all the time - I would trot her and then have short periods of running.

Use the principles of aerobics and interval training which state you have short periods of intense heart rate followed by longer, slower and more even.

The main point: dogs will stop if they are tired. You should heed this - don't push her farther than she can take.

Obviously take the weather into consideration - if it is really hot - you cannot do this mid day and will have to keep it short. If it is really cold, you will have to warm her up with a walk.

If she is regularly doing 3 miles now, she will easily adapt. If she hasnt been worked regularly (at least 3 times per week) you need to start with a mile or less depending on the above.

PS: I use to bike my doberman !

Don't see why not. Just watch her. You know when she is getting tired. Stop and take a break. Plenty of fluids. I am sure you already know that.

Great looking dog. She has some nice definition in her muzzle. Makes me think there may be a little American Pit Bull Terrier too.

Back