Did anyone else notice this in The Lovely Bones?

Vince

May 28, 2008
I just finished reading it after watching the film two weeks ago, although I think the book was an excellent work of literature and I think it was amazing how Alice Sebold channeled her personnel attack into a best seller and I think she must have been very strong to keep going after it.

However my really pedantic side keeps pointing out a specific flaw in the book, George Harvey would have been caught much faster, almost immediately I assume, wheras in the book he cleaned up the dirt and blood in his house and collapsed the den before getting rid of the body (which he did not in the film, gross)

In the book the investigators went into his house, had a general look around and asked him a few questions before deciding he was odd but innocent and leaving him alone, while the only people that still suspected him were the Salmon family.

Well in reality the police would have done a background check on everyone and when they saw that he had lived in areas where other girls and women had gone missing, one being documented as his landlady, they would have taken him into custordy and done a full search off the house and they would have found his little newspaper cuttings of Susie and his book of victims and murder plans and a hair lock of Susie and he would have been charged for the murder, done.

Also the entire area would suspect him because he was a recluse who rarely made any form of contact with people, I mean I lived alone a Canadian town and there were rumours about me on the street, although nobody died so I was safe.

So yeah, did any of you notice that and do you think I am correct
That is an excellent point Mikami, but I still think more people in the neighborhood would have suspected him which may have lead to a background check.

Yes and no. They didn't exactly suspect him, so they felt there was no need for a background check. If they worked like that, they would be doing background checks on everyone. There's also the fact that different people work in different ways. Some might have done one on the spot, while others wouldn't bother unless they really suspected the person.

Back