Devonta Freeman's agent picked an odd time to complain about his contract situation

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
Devonta Freeman's agent picked an odd time to complain about his contract situation

HOUSTON – It’s not a big deal that Devonta Freeman’s agent said her client wants to get a big contract extension from the Atlanta Falcons. That’s just business in the NFL.
But six days before the Super Bowl?
“It’s time for the Falcons to pay him like the elite back he is,” Freeman’s agent Kristin Campbell told NFL.com in a story that was posted Monday afternoon.
And if that wasn’t enough, Campbell complained that Freeman hasn’t been able to distinguish*himself as a top-three back because he has to split carries with Tevin Coleman.
“During the season it has been frustrating for Devonta,” Campbell said. “He has been trying to establish himself as a top-three back in the league, and yet when you look at his snaps, he gets significantly less opportunity than the others vying to be in that category.”
[Ditch the paper and pen – play Squares Pick’em for the Big Game!]
Again, six days before the Super Bowl? This couldn’t have waited until Monday? The Falcons weren’t exactly going to drop everything to negotiate an extension this week. They’re busy.
When asked about the report Monday night, general manager Thomas Dimitroff made clear he was aware of it and Freeman let him know he was focused on the task at hand.
“I’ve talked to Devonta about it, and Coach [Dan] Quinn and I talked about it today – we want Devonta to be around and we like what he’s doing,” Dimitroff said. “We’ll address that after the season. This isn’t the time to talk about, obviously, contract extensions. We’re all focused, Devonta included. He’s very focused on this game, and that’s what we’re encouraged by.
“Whether his agent came out and mentioned something one way or another or insinuated or alluded to the fact that there were any sort of issues with it, that’s not the case at all. This is where he wants to be, and we want to have him here.”
9b1b95a4d7c3afab1895009ee1b7b627
Devonta Freeman’s agent said her client wants to get a contract extension from the Falcons. (AP) Freeman steered clear of the issue when asked at Media Night*on Monday. He didn’t want to make the story any bigger.
“I’m just excited to be here,” Freeman said when asked about the report. “Whatever they got going on, that’s the business part of it. I’m just excited to be here and being able to compete with my family, my brothers. I’m just enjoying the moment of this experience.”
Freeman was quoted in the NFL.com saying about sharing carries with Coleman, “I’m certainly struggling with it, just because I’m a competitor.” He had a different tune when asked Monday night about the timeshare with Coleman.
“We work together so well,” Freeman said. “Last season I was taking all the pounding when I was getting all the carries. I didn’t know how important it was to have someone to come in when you’re tired and banged up … we work so well together.”
When asked specifically if he was frustrated to share carries, Freeman did a U-turn on his answer.
“Man … I’m just excited all you guys are here,” Freeman said, looking out at the media crowd around his podium. “I’m so thankful for this opportunity. I love it.”
[Read and React Newsletter: Shutdown Corner’s best Super Bowl coverage in your inbox!]

Everything Campbell – who is the wife of “2 Live Crew” front man Luther Campbell – said is true. Freeman is one of the NFL’s best backs. He averaged 4.8 yards per carry, had 11 rushing touchdowns and is dangerous as a receiver. Freeman’s 1,093 yards were ninth in the NFL this season, and each of the top eight backs ahead of him had more than the 227 carries he got. Freeman is still on his rookie deal, slated to make $600,000 this season and $690,000 next season. This season, 42 backs averaged at least $1 million in base salary and 10 averaged at least $5 million.
Freeman is one of the best backs in the NFL. He is underpaid. He has earned a huge pay bump, and considering the danger of the position he plays, he should be angling for a new deal. It’s just weird that it became a story on the Monday before the Super Bowl.
3de2ae99aaa3f96bcdafc7b379138671
Devonta Freeman told NFL.com that he wanted more carries. On Monday, he told reporters it was all good. (AP) “I haven’t even been thinking about it,” Freeman said to another question about his contract. “I love this game. I need to maximize this opportunity, what’s in front of me. I’m at the Super Bowl. I’m here to only talk about football, and have fun, and how can we get this win? That’s what I’m all about right now. That’s all I’m thinking about, that’s all I’m focused on.”
There are no signs of any friction with Freeman and Coleman. When Coleman was asked about Freeman signing an extension with the Falcons – which would continue to block his ability to become a starter – Coleman said “hopefully” that happens.
“We’re so close,” Coleman said. “We never hate on each other, we never get frustrated with each other about who’s getting this and who’s getting more reps.”
It doesn’t seem there’s a problem with Freeman, and Dimitroff and Quinn seem to have communicated about it with Freeman right away. Freeman’s agent made good points. But it probably could have waited a week.
– – – – – – –
Frank Schwab is the editor of Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @YahooSchwab

Back