Curt Schilling challenged to a debate by ESPN's Stephen A. Smith

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
Grab your popcorn and set your DVRs, sports fans, because the debate of the century might be coming to a pay-per-view channel near you. ESPN personality Stephen A. Smith has challenged his former colleague Curt Schilling to a debate.
[Join a Yahoo Daily Fantasy Baseball contest now]
Smith's challenge came during an appearance on SiriusXM's "Mad Dog Radio" show. Smith initially expressed his displeasure with former ESPN employees bashing the company after they leave, but then turned his sights directly on Schilling, according to the New York Daily News.*
“You (Schilling) want to sit here and have a debate about what really went on?” an indignant SAS asked. “Name the time and place and I’ll show up, with the permission of ESPN — of course. I guess listening to my boss makes me a bad guy. Well guess what? I’d rather be bad than stupid.”
Shots fired! But it didn't stop there:
“Let me speak up on behalf of ESPN when I say this to Curt Schilling: ... You are gone not because you have conservative views instead of liberal views. Your ass is gone because you did not want to listen,” Smith said on SXM. “ESPN tells me to shut-up, they’re my employer whether I like it or not. If I want to keep my job, I’ve got to shut the hell up.”
Now we're really interested! And while it seems unlikely some type of debate would ever happen, we like to think we have an idea of how things might go.
Announcer: "In this corner, standing 6-foot-5, 205 pounds (at least in his playing days). He's known in some corners as the "Conservative Curveball," he's known in others as the "Bloody Sock," you know him, you love him: Curt Schilling!
"And in this corner, standing ... we aren't entirely sure. In all matters of speech, he's known as "Smooth Stephen." In the ring, he ensures his opponent's first takes will be their last. It's the man, the myth: Stephen A. Smith!"
[Elsewhere: Someone turned Bartolo Colon's home run into a "30 for 30" trailer]
With that said, the fine people at The Stew will not be taking bets on the event. In a physical confrontation, it's tough not to take the former professional athlete. In a war of words, however, Smith is pretty untouchable. Whether you love him or hate, the man knows what he's doing in all matters of speech.
*The debate will never happen, so we're left to dream on what it could have been. Who knows, maybe Schilling could have pulled off a Buster Douglas-like upset over the tenacious, Tyson-like Smith.*
Ladies and gentleman, let's get ready to rumble!
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:
- - - - - - -
Follow @Chris_Cwik

Back