Copyright laws on iPhone apps?

Stephanie

May 11, 2008
There is an app called picsilk, you take a picture (the app automatically turns it black and white) and you put it on a tshirt and others can buy it, the money goes to the owner of the app. Other people can follow your account, like your photos etc and make shirt using your pics, I drew an artwork on "Paint" posted it on twitter a few months ago, today I saw someone use the artwork in the app to enter a competition, isn't that against the law? My signature is at the bottom but it was blurred out by the app..

You are correct, if you drew it then it is yours. Just like if you take photos, no one else can use them without your permission especially if its something generating profit. Of course it could be someone in China etc, and there is nothing you could do in that case.
I would contact the competition they are in and state that you are the owner of that artwork and someone blurred out your name. They should remove it then. I would also notify the owner of the app that you own the image and they need to remove this immediately.

Next time put a text watermark right across the middle of your image.

Back