Converting to Judaism? help?

Clara

Mar 10, 2008
I heard that if I convert to Judaism through reform, that I probably won't go in the Mikvah. I was wondering that if I asked my rabbi if I was able to go in the Mikvah, they would make it possible. Or is it absolutely a no no , when converting through Reform?

If you want to convert, you should contact an Orthodox rabbi, because Orthodox conversions are recognized by all branches of Judaism. Reform conversions are generally recognized only by the Reform, not the Conservatives nor the Orthodox; Conservative conversion are recognized only by Reform and Conservatives, but not by the Orthodox.
But, the Reform probably wouldn't STOP you from going to a mikvah. They might not know where to FIND a mikvah, but you can use certain natural bodies of water as a mikvah. Consult your local Orthoidox rabbi for particulars on which types of bodies of water can serve as a mikvah.

Many Reform conversions include the Mikvah. All you have to do is to ask your rabbi. It's very common where I live.

answer: Most Reform rabbis require the trip to the mikvah and (despite Matthew's incorrect assumptions), they do know where to find a mikvah. If the Reform synagogue doesn't have a mikvah, they have access to a Conservative or Orthodox mikvah (or a body of fresh water - lake, oceans, river).

My first trip to the mikvah was a nearby lake (the Orthodox mikvah was 300 miles away - one way). It was LATE October but totally worth it.

Jesus is God who was prophecyed by all of the prophets and all jews were waiting for Him.
He has perfectly completed the prophecies about Him.
He is the only way to YHWH.

http://www.cynet.com/jesus/prophecy/ntquoted.htm

The Reform Shul where I worked the Rabbi was actualy very firm that the convert will have a Mikva and if it was a man, a Brit Millah (or the ritual drop of blood for one who was circumcised).

The problem with Reform conversions is that there is no one set of requirements.
You could have a "strict" conversion like the above described -- or you may have something completely ...freeform.

Therefore, my understanding is that very few people who are not themselves part of the Reform movement will recognise a Reform conversion.
(not even "secular" Jews)

If the option is open, I would recomend going "heavier"
(at least Conservative)

------
If you have any interest for anytime in the future becoming part of the Jewish community in Israel, the issue is far more difficult -- the Israeli rabinic establishments don't even accept all "Orthodox" American conversions, much less conversions of the more "liberal" movements.
(in this case, there is a list of rabbinic courts that can provide an Israel-acceptible conversion)

Back