Codes for Honda P0131 and P1457. Also stuttering, losing oil quickly and

XX

Feb 14, 2008
grinding noise. What is wrong with it? I have a 2000 Civic LX and have had the check engine light on for most of the time I've owned it, although it never seemed to bother anything. If I unplug the battery it'll stay off for about two weeks, or until it rains. From then on it never seems to go off again, so whatever it is does not occur right away, and keeps occurring before it can cycle enough times to take off the check engine light. The last time I looked into it I believe we had the same two codes (which Auto Zone read for me), which are P0131 and P1457. I had a shop verify the codes and they checked for vapor lock and suggested replacing the gas cap with the OEM gas cap, and replacing the oxygen sensor.

That was only about 20-25,000 miles ago, so my O2 sensor should be fine. I've read online that O2 sensors are often misdiagnosed by replacing the sensor, but that's not necessarily the issue. The reason I looked into it again is b/c I was driving about 80 the other day for about 30 minutes, which I've done many times before, but once I got off the highway my car stuttered at the stop. Ever since then when I stop the car will stutter for about 5-10 seconds and the tach drops to about 0, then it comes back up to an ok idle.

I also seem to go through oil quickly. The car only has 120,000 miles, which is about half-life for a civic, and friends with civics say they barely ever have to change the oil in their civics, but I do mine about every 5-6 miles (commonly suggested for civics) and it's bone dry by then as I found out the last 2 times, so somehow it's going through oil quickly and I don't think it's leaking.

I also have a grinding noise that started around the same time. It seems to be coming from the driver side tire, and it's not LOUD, but it can be easily heard while driving if I turn down the cd player a little less than usual volume. I've heard this in the past and it turned out to be a sensor for my brake (which was just a piece of metal) that got ground down while driving somehow. I was told it can just happen. It sounds similar to that, but the other side of the car. I am aware, however, that my front end struts are going out. My mechanic told me I should have a while before that happens though.

So any ideas? The grinding can be easily checked, but I'm more worried about the codes, stuttering at stops, and the oil. PLEASE, NO AMATEUR GUESSES. I appreciate taking the time to read this, but I need someone that can really analyze codes and symptoms to help, and that's hard to find at auto shops. That's why I listed all problems. So please, DO NOT answer unless you know what you're talking about. Thank you. I appreciate it

You will need to take to a shop that will actually diagnose your vehicle. po131 is for the heater circuit in your oxygensensor. Most likely you have fixed that by replacing sensor since most of the time the heater element in sensor goes open circuited but you need to have the ecm scanned to see what codes you really have. P1457 codes is
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) control system leak detected and there is about 6 different steps to diagnosing each having some specfic tests that need to be done. Possible causes for this code to set......
Fuel fill cap
Vacuum Connections
Fuel Tank
EVAP Control Canister Vent Shut Valve
EVAP Control Canister Vent Shut Valve Circuit
EVAP Purge Control Solenoid Valve
EVAP Purge Control Solenoid Valve Circuit
EVAP Bypass Solenoid Valve
EVAP Bypass Solenoid Valve Circuit
Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor
Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit
EVAP Control Canister
ORVR vent shut valve
ORVR vapor recirculation valve
Throttle Body
So unless you want to replace each part one by one I would highly recommend you take to a dealership or local shop that can actually diagnose your problem. Good luck.

Back