Christians only please..........?

chucknorris

Mar 26, 2008
In the Gospels Jesus was talking about the coming of Gods Kingdom and the arrival of the Son of Man and he said -

"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled" Matthew 24:34
and
"But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God." Luke 9:27

Since that obviously did not happen was Jesus
A) Lying
B) Wrong
C) A false Prophet
D) Maybe just maybe not really the messiah/God

And no these are not taken out of context you are free to look up the full verses to see for yourselves. Also don't give me the nobody knows the day or time rigmarole because he said in that generation and that some would still be alive.

Atheists I know you know the real answer I just want to see how Christians will try to BS there way through this one.

There are two ways of looking at it, depending in the definition of "generation".

If we take "generation" as we typically think of a generation, Jesus' prophecy refers to the destruction of the Temple, which was built purposely to be a representation of the universe/world.

If we take "generation" to be something marked by the covenants, then generation refers to the body of time between the Redemption and His second coming, in which case, the prophecy is one of an undetermined date of fulfillment.

In Catholic theology, prophecy is often a both/and situation. Jesus was not only predicting the fall of the Temple, but also the wiping away of the old earth/heaven and the creation of the new earth/heaven at Judgment.

First of all,you need to know the Bible has been translated many times over the Centuries. One word such as "This" can be taken out of context. I believe Jesus was talking about the Future,the End Times Generation.

There isn't proof; it's all a matter of faith. People have been asking these questions for hundreds of years, but it says in the bible that a million years to Jesus is one year to man. So who knows, really.

I guess it's easy to for the people who wrote the bible to get facts about a guy who never existed wrong.

keep reading

Luk 9:28 Now it came to pass, about eight days after these sayings, that He took Peter, John, and James and went up on the mountain to pray.
Luk 9:29 As He prayed, the appearance of His face was altered, and His robe became white and glistening.
Luk 9:30 And behold, two men talked with Him, who were Moses and Elijah,
Luk 9:31 who appeared in glory and spoke of His decease which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.

Mt 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.

This is your problem too, my friend. Now, honestly, I can understand why you think like you do, as I had to struggle with what Jesus was getting at until quite recently in this regard. But I got there, because I knew the scriptures, and what's more, I believed in the power of God. If you aren't in that position, you will never really understand so many things that the Bible says. For they will not be given to you to understand.

However, I will explain these scriptures, since you desire to know. You do desire to know, and not just sneer at us?

Okay, in the Matthew 24 context, the Lord Jesus is talking about the end of the age and what will be happening in the world just before his Second Coming. This is, in fact, the coming of God's Kingdom, physically and politically, for when Jesus returns to the earth, he will judge its inhabitants and then set up his Milennial Kingdom (see Rev.ch.19 = the Second Coming - and Rev.ch.20 = the Milennial Kingdom).

Now, the generation that should not pass was not the generation of the listening disciples at that time, but it was the generation of all those people who would see the fulfilment of all those signs talked about in Matt.24, especially the 'sign of the fig tree' (the rebirth of Israel as a nation) during their lifetimes. Jesus was talking of some time in the future, of a future generation of believers, those who should live at the approach to the very end of the age.

In the Luke 9 context, Jesus is talking about something else. He is talking about the 'Kingdom of God' which is 'within you' - the coming of the spiritual Kingdom. In other words, Christianity. This generation, that would see the coming of the spiritual Kingdom - in other words, the Holy Spirit at Pentecost - would be from among the people who were standing at that time listening to him.

For Christianity grew out of Jewish roots, and it was those very disciples and apostles of Jesus who formed the seed-bed of the Christianity which was to emerge. And the birthday of that early church happened at Pentecost, fifty days after Passover.

Now, will you believe me, can you receive that answer, because it is the truth?

jesus is the antichrist...look at the stories, the evil, the plots. it's all written down.

The passage in Matthew is talking about the end times, when the horrible things will happen particularly in a single generation. That generation is the "this generation" in that passage.

In Luke, Jesus is talking about a more immediate revelation of the kingdom of God. The resurrection of Jesus is the foretaste of our seeing this kingdom.

These are two different discussions about two different things. You are searching the scriptures looking for some slight inconsistency to "disprove" or "prove" something. Jesus commented on this to the religious leaders of his day:
"Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life." John 5:39

The scriptures will point you to life if you are looking for life.

Blessings.
/Orthodox

Answer to the first scripture at Matthew 24:34. When Jesus was talking to this "generation" he was referring to the anointed ones, of whom his apostles that he told this to were to be at Pentecost of 33 C. E. The anointing of Jesus' spiritual adopted brothers, has been ongoing up to and including our time. When the last of the 144,000 are anointed and finally sealed then the four winds of destruction will be let loose, which the angels are holding back. So this "generation" will still be alive on earth, that is some of the 144,000 anointed will still be on earth with the great tribulation will break out. In fact Jesus said that those days would have to be cut short on account of these "chosen ones."

To answer the second question. Jesus did not lie. Some of those standing with him did indeed see Jesus in his kingdom glory, namely James, John, and Peter during the transfiguration:

(Luke 9:28-29) .*.*.In actual fact, about eight days after these words, he took Peter and John and James along and climbed up into the mountain to pray. 29*And as he was praying the appearance of his face became different and his apparel became glitteringly white. ...

To read the full account of the transfiguration please see Luke 9:28-36.

Also in about the year 98 C. E. another vision was given to the apostle John. There in a Revelation he saw Jesus in his kingdom power and glory in heaven.

Back