Christian looking for advice on work?

Tee

May 18, 2008
I've chosen to live a lifestyle more of one like a pilgrim. I say that because I've shifted focus on living a life of just spreading the word on the streets. I plan on moving either every year or every other year going from one city to another or state.

I have been looking at efficiency rooms to rent for roughly $150/week. I've calculated for now that I'll need an income of around $300/week to survive. My aim is to become self employed so that I can work the flexible hours I need part time to leave room for reading, study, street preaching, and ministering. So that's where I'm hoping you all can help to provide some suggestions.

Would you please share any ideas you have on things I can do on my spare time to earn an income? Here are some ideas I've been thinking about so far. Please tell me what you think and if you have any other suggestions please list them.

-Repair/Sell computers/Install Networks. I have background knowledge here.

While I have background knowledge in computers. I don't think that will be reliable enough for me since I'll be moving around. The success there will be based on satisfied customers and word of mouth. Not feasible for a pilgrim.

-Learn a skilled trade. Paint, install wood/tile flooring, pressure wash, construction.

I have some knowledge in painting and pressure washing. Personally I like this section because I believe there's always a demand for them. It's usual someone needs something done with their home or car. I think if I can specialize in at least two or three and pass out cards I'll be able to find work and the earning potential could far exceed what I need. Which ones though? And are there any other skilled trades in demand?

-Scrap Metal. Purchase a pickup truck and drive around for scrap metals to turn in for money.

I like this idea because people are always throwing things away. If I can have a truck and haul them off to some yard for cash that would be great. I would need to research this further to see if it can meet my budget needs. Seems a bit risky at first glance.

-Sell food - Food stand? Cook or bake on your own or work with a supplier?

People need to eat. The only problem is permits? How creative can I be to make this lucrative enough to meet my budget costs or what I'm trying to do.

So if you have any suggestions for me please let me know. I hope you all respect my decision to live like this. Worst case I can always live in a shelter for little to no money which I can pan handle for. I don't mind that. I can save enough to purchase a van and live in that. I'm trying to go about it the wise way but at the end of the day the word has to go out to the meek and poor of the earth. I want to make myself availabe for that because I believe that's my calling. That's why I'm content with so little. Again, hope you all respect my decision and hope to hear some good advice.

Thanks and Peace.
Oh and also, what do you think about relying on donation to accomplish my work? Do you think people would be interested if I maybe broadcast or uploaded videos of myself on Youtube or Ustream showing them what their money would be going strictly towards. They will see I will be content with living with next to nothing but giving all their money directly to folks on the streets to feed, cloth, and share a word with them. Do you think that's something you'd support?

I have a suggestion--why don't you mind your own business, and abandon the idea of ambushing people on the street with whatever version of the truth you think you possess. If you have decided that living like a bum and ranting on street corners is the way to run your life, you need to seriously evaluate your decision-making process.

Back