Cherokee vs. Highlander: Which SUV is better for driving in snow?

Oct 28, 2010
I've had a Civic all of my life, but after last year's winter, I need to get an SUV. I don't know how to pick one out. Please offer any tips or suggestions. But I think I've narrowed it down to Cherokee and Highlander because I prefer a mid size SUV.

The Highlander will be a more trouble free vehicle. Do not ignore the importance of winter tires on an all wheel drive. AWD will give you more ground clearance, it will help you accelerate faster, but will do nothing to improve stopping and cornering traction (over any regular car). All season tires are not a substitute for proper winter tires. Check out some tirerack you tube videos comparing winter and all season tires.

I would go with the Highlander myself, I am actually considering buying a new one.

The new Cherokee looks cool, but has not been on the market long enough to be proven.

The Cherokee will be a more trouble free vehicle. Do not ignore the importance of winter tires on an 4 wheel drive. 4WD will give you more ground clearance, it will help you accelerate faster, but will do nothing to improve stopping and cornering traction (over any regular car). All season tires are not a substitute for proper winter tires. Check out some Tirerack you tube videos comparing winter and all season tires.

Well, based on pure performance in the snow the Cherokee will be much better.
The downside is they tend to have problems.

both cars will be fine in snow, how you drive in snow is more important. Look at the pros and cons of each. I am more of a Cherokee guy

Back