Certified Mechanics only! 2.7 chrysler?

Person

May 14, 2008
I just bought a used 2002 sebring sedan with the 2.7 engine; 98k miles. Bought it for 4900 before tax etc. It sounds beautiful but I thought i would look online to see if theres anything to look out for and sure enough, I had the oppurtunity to learn about the oil sludge saga. What should be my next step.. do i go to the dealer i bought it from and ask them about it? should i go to a shop and have them check the engine? do i immediately switch to synthetic oil? or do i simply try to sell it

well im not a certified mechanic, but i do know enough not to f*ck you around with a stupid answer....when you say "oil sludge saga" i have no idea what that means, but if it means your oil has alot of sludge, no, i would not suggest switching to synthetic by any means. Reason being is because the thick sludgy oil has already given your cylinder walls a nice coating, boosting compression. If you switch to synthetic, you might end up with even more problems, such as oil leaking past the piston rings, which eventually will lead to low oil pressure and connecting rod failure. I would do what you said and go back to the dealer and ask them about this. When you do an oil change, ask your mechanic how the oil looked and go from there..if its not bad, you have nothing to worry about...good luck!

Back