Cell phones on a cruise ship?

GraceeFaitheHope

Jul 9, 2010
Hi everyone, I have a verizon iPhone and am going on Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas to the Bahamas, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten. I know it is expensive to text on a cruise, but what about twitter? Will I be able to tweet/instagram? Also, is there a way I can keep my phone on so that I can take pictures with it without it costing anything?

yes u can keep your phone on but if if didnt turn of the data roaming the bill will kill u
try to use wifi

You ca sign up for wifi but it's usually pretty crappy and pricey. St Thomas is a US territory, but while ATT works well there, Verizon sucks. Twitter costs the same as texting, instagram using more data than either, and therefore costs more.

There is wifi in places in St Maarten and St Thomas. If you are on Veterans Blvd in St Thomas, which is where more cruise passengers go, there are a few restaurants that have wifi.

Turn your data off, or put your phone in airplane mode, and keep it that way unless you know you are iwithin wifi range.

Yeah you can take photos, etc, but if you want to use internet you have to pay for it. I paid on the cruise but only for 20 minutes of time or so, so I could quickly poll email.

Back