Car Audio question about Capacitators?

Gato

Jan 7, 2009
I recently baught a capacitator for my 2000 honda civic to help out my battery because my amp and subwoofer were draing my batery dry. it got to the point where it took like 10 min for my car to start. well i bought the capacitator used, its a Schoche or something like that, you buy it at walmart, well i set it up but i don't know if i did it right. also when i turn off my car the capacitator stays on. is it supposed to stay on? should i charge my capacitataor if so how do i do it?

I hope you bought a new battery because if not, you might end up stranded soon. If you've hooked up the capacitor already, then it's already charged. Charging it with a bulb or resistor is just to make it charge slowly, which is often safer. And yes, the led readout on the cap can stay lit when the car is off.
Setup -- Battery+ to Cap+ to Amp+, Cap- to car chassis

So, are you playing your stereo with the engine off? If you are, then prepare to keep buying new batteries. If you're not then your alternator can't supply enough current for your amp as well as the other electronics in your car and charge your battery too, and you might consider an upgrade to a High Output alternator.

I hope you bought a new battery because if not, you might end up stranded soon. If you've hooked up the capacitor already, then it's already charged. Charging it with a bulb or resistor is just to make it charge slowly, which is often safer. And yes, the led readout on the cap can stay lit when the car is off.
Setup -- Battery+ to Cap+ to Amp+, Cap- to car chassis

So, are you playing your stereo with the engine off? If you are, then prepare to keep buying new batteries. If you're not then your alternator can't supply enough current for your amp as well as the other electronics in your car and charge your battery too, and you might consider an upgrade to a High Output alternator.

ur first mistake is buying the capacitator. that will honestly do NOTHING for your battery it only feeds ur amp steady power and actually takes more power from ur alternator and battery. what you needed to do to solve that problem is get an alternator that puts out more amps. because you alternater gives out for a little bit becuase it cant keep up with ur system so then when the alternator goes out, now the battery (which is charged by your alternator) is suddenly powering everything which means it will go out soon... and then your alternator and battery are both dead and so you have to wait for your alternator to start up in order for your car to start. so basically get an alternator that is bigger and puts out more power.

Back