Can you send air back thru an air conditioning vent?

brightstar65

May 5, 2012
I have a bedroom I need to cool for the summer using a small Penguin type air conditioner. I need to vent the warmer air out of the room, through a window or otherwise. Since I have side hinged windows, this becomes a chore, having to close off so much of the wedge the slightly opened window forms. Then it occurred to me, since I do not use the central air conditioning system, I could just vent the warm air into the central air system! The house uses a Unico type system, which rather than having big vent openings into the room has several small 3 inch circular openings. I would choose one of these openings to vent into and close off the other ones in the room so as not to blow the warm air back into the room but instead force it back to the main central cooling unit.

Is there a technical reason why this ought not to work? I would think the air going back would merely vent out into the garage or whereever the central cooling unit is.
Thanks all so far - a few more details... I have a big house with lots of windows that I am in for a few more months before the bank gets it back. When I had renters I had to run central air to cool the whole house, which in some summer months (Austin, TX) ran up to $700. Now I have no renters and intend to only cool the bedroom toward the evening so that I have the one cooled space in the house. The rest of the house is immaterial to me in terms of temperature, as I will make do by working in coffee shops etc when it gets too hot (around noon) to work within the house during the day. As far as Penguin type units being lousy, mine did manage to cool a hot space I had upstairs, when the main central AC alone was inadequate to the task (likely not enough vents into the room ). OK, so far it sounds as if the vent system is used passively, shutting closed those vents I do not want the warm air ported to. Since the same set of pipes in my house also used to cool the bottom floor, I c

Back