Can someone tell me whats wrong with my car stereo? This is long sorry...

Link0710

Dec 14, 2009
...but i really need input? Ok bear with me this may be a little long but i wanna get all the details i can down and see if i need a new car stereo or what. And again im sorry its long but this is really making me wonder.

Ok i have an Alpine CDA-9813 stereo. It has a motorized face plate ( having to move slightly out and fold down to insert/take out a CD ) and its hooked up to a system. ( sub and amp )

Now my stock stereo got stolen and the wire-harness was cut. So even with the system put in, I wired all the wires necessary to work. For over a year i've NEVER had a problem with it. Lol honestly it was my first time wiring a stereo by trial and error, but hey i did it and it works.

Now as with a sub and amp, i have wires connected to the car battery. Recently my car has been out of commission. When i went to put new tires on it, the battery was dead. I didn't have time to charge it so i had my friend bring his truck over while i was gone and do it for me. Now i know he had the black grounded and stuff, but he said for a few minutes he accidentally put the positive cable on the negative side of the battery, almost melting my cords!.

Non the less it was fixed and its working now. I took it to a mechanic to put my tires on and get an alignment done. The guy was F'n with my wires on my stereo when i came back and tried to hide that he wasnt. I did see him messing back there though.

Anyway my stereo worked fine on the drive to the mechanic, but after that its been having problems that are driving me INSANE.

Ok here is the list of what it does/doesnt do.

Well first off is 75% of the time there is no sound and it refuses to recognize a disc. I know the disc works, and i know my speakers arent blown.

Second if it does read the disc then there will be no sound, or it will play about a song and a half then go back to error.

If its not reading and i get no sound and i try to eject it, the face plate moves and sets up right, but the disk wont eject and it wont go back unless i shut off the car and turn it back on. Then when it decides to work i can eject/insert a disc just fine. I've kept discs out of there since and usually just listen to the radio.

Now there's been a few instances were it will work perfect ( i took a 4 hour trip and thank god it worked ) and it was like nothing was wrong. Switched disks, turned the volume up/down, changed stations, even my system worked fine.

Then there's times it will work fine too but if i adjust the volume AT ALL... then it makes a thump sound from the speakers and then no more sound!

And sometimes it will read the disc, give me song names, legnth, even count down on how long the song has been playing, but there is NO sound!

I checked all the wires, all the fuses and all my speakers.. .but i cant figure it out! Do i just need to buy a new stereo? Do you think having the cords on the wrong side of the battery fried something inside the stereo?

Does anyone have any ideas?

( also yes i know i need to buy a stock wiring harness so it aint all done by hand but im having trouble finding my brand of car Hyundai Tiburon GT )

Im not an expert or anything so im just going off judgment but you should check if ur AMP is grounded correctly maybe he re-positioned your ground wire when you caught him "messing with wires" Check the light indicators on the back of the amp to see if it is Green or Red

Back