Can my VW rabbit make it from oregon to california?

Fdssfd

Apr 5, 2013
I have a 1982 vw rabbit with a 1.7 liter 4 cylinder. It gets goods gas millage. I am making a trip from oregon to california in a couple of days, but someone just told me my car would not be able to make it on the mountains or something.
Has anyone made that trip, and know if my car could make it over the mountains. thankss
Thanks guys, yeah it is just a really slow car. Iv had a 1971 chevy impala with a loadedd 350 that thing was boss, then an rx8, now i have this and it feels like im walking through the road.

There are mountains in Germany(where this car was designed at) and neighboring countries like the Swiss Alps[you might have heard of them in geography]. I assume you have automatic transmission so maybe have that checked to be sure it is OK and the outer CV boots are not cracked or ripped and brake pads are in good condition and you are ready to rip. VW's don't rip but they go at a fair pace(compared to walking)
. So, be prepared to do only 60 or 50(or even less) on really steep hills[like Streets of San Francisco] because you do not have the power with a 4 cylinder. You have "half of a V8".
. I had an 1982 1600 and I put 740,000 miles on that engine(before the car body rusted away and I got pulled off by the cops) I could have done a million and I had 5 speed standard shift. but had to toss the car as I did not have a replacement body. I live in the Rockies so there is nothing BUT HILL. and all of them seem to go up.
California? Easy. No hesitation even with the high miles.

I don't see the point in asking. Traveling on the highway is much less stressful on a car than city driving. You have been driving this car for years, correct? The drive from OR to CA will only take a day, correct?
So how is the driving you do every day any different than driving on the road?
It isn't.
So the car will make the trip fine.
The mountains are not any steeper than roads in Portland.
At worst, you downshift and take your time in a lower gear.
Cars basically can run almost forever unless you lug them at too low of rpm, or over rev them at too high of rpm.
Of course the car can make the trip if it is in good shape.
Thousands of people with similar cars do it all the time.
If you feel there is a problem with your car, than fix it first or have it looked over.
That car should be able to go coast to coast a dozen times, unless you failed to take care of it.

I had an old Chevy Chevette and drove to California in it. When going up a steep hill in the Rockies, it maxed out at 45 mph. That happened to me 4 or 5 times on the trip from Virginia to California. Otherwise, it was a wonderful trip and a very good car. Don't worry about it; your car will make it. It will get slow on the steep hills and go slower, but it is alright.

If you are just going south and then north, you are mostly on the level. While your car is no powerhouse and 30 years old, if it has not given you grief lately, I would not worry. Check your fluids, and your air , and enjoy the trip.

Back