Can I trust my local garage after being quoted £255.00 for a leaking pipe?

msfy1306

Oct 18, 2008
I drive a 12 year old Nissan Almera having bought it 3 years ago. I haved lived in my local area for the past 18 months and local garage have always (seemed) to be trustworthy with good work and prices. However, I noticed a slow leak at the front of the car and with the help of Haynes manual, my younger brother and a bit of internet help, we established that it was a power steering fluid leak which seemed to be coming from a pipe at the front of the engine in front of the radiator.

Bearing this in mind and (that due to my disabilities) that it shouldn't cost the earth to have the pipe repaired/renewed/tightened I took car into my local garage who told me it was steering fluid leak ( I told them this in first instance) and that it was the Power Steering Pump that was leaking. The cost of this, as quoted, £130 for parts and £90.00 for labour plus VAT!

I was dismayed to hear this as there had not been any sign of any problems with the power steering save the slow leak at the front of the engine!

I therefore looked for a second opinion and visited a Kwik Fit garage whom I had used in the past. I didn't tell them that I had been quoted the above, only told them I had a slow leak at the front of the car. They got the car onto the ramp, and as it was quiet there were 3 mechanics checking under the car whilst on ramp and under the bonnet.

They told me that the leak was due to a faulty hose at the front of the car and definately WAS NOT Power Steering Pump or any other major component to do with the power steering and that it was bone dry. Now although they did not deal with power steering, they recommended another local mechanic to whom they refer a number of their clients.

We toddled off to the local mechanic as referred, and he had not spoken to Kwik Fit, and was not aware that we were to attend and ask advice.

Again, I relayed the problem to the mechanic and after a good fumble and cleanng of the areas concerned, he confirmed it was a loose/knackered hose/pipe a front of car and that (again) it WAS NOT the Power Steering Pump or any other major part. I am taking the car in tomorrow to have the pipe/hose repaired/renewed and it isn't going to cost a fortune.

My dilemma is that I felt quite sick at my local garage diagnosis in the sum of £255.00 when I have had 2 further garages confirm that it is just a leaking pipe and not as serious as my local garage tried to make out. The reason why I feel sick is that the garage know of my disabilities and inabilities to do any work on my car myself and that I am totally in there hands and feel as though they have tried to pull the wool quoting me for a job which was as works out would have been unnecessary, at this moment in time! I never thought for one moment that they would have attempted to almost con me in this way!

Do any readers have any views as to what I should do? Apart from NOT ask them to look at my car any further!

Many thanks!

Back