Can a DSL router cause my internet connection to be slow?

JeDe

May 19, 2008
I have a Comtrend router and was just wondering if since it is not one of the better routers if this could be why my internet connection is slow or if I have other problems. Thank you in advance for any input.

Also there is one computer connected directly to the router, 2-sometimes 3 that are connected wirelessly, and my XBOX 360 is connected directly to the router.

It sounds like there is a lot of PC's connected. If this is in fact a DSL line, you probably just need to increase your bandwidth. To determine your current speed (default speeds can range anywahere from 768kpbs to 3 mbps for DSL Lines). The ISP should provide these servcies to you for extra cost.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Your DSL Router usually doesn;t have much to do with it (although, if setup incorrectly, it is quite a possibility.)

Other possibilities that could slow down your bandwidth are :
1. Insecure wireless network
2. Viruses / Adware / Spyware
3. General Bad connectivty to the ISP (bad phone lines, etc.)

its called bandwidth
even if you have a 10meg line your shareing it with anything that is running on that modem some modems have a filter on it that only lets u go at a certain speed max. but usealy the number 1 slot is main and it gets priority. and wireless usealyy always is set at 100mgps

Well if you router is anywhere from 100 Mbps or higher then it is fine as far as connection speed. I highly doubt that you have a 100 Mbps internet connection. So, you know that it is not the amount of information that is slowing you down. Now connection strength of the wireless. Look at that if it says anything besides Very Good you will start slowing down. Also its normally your upload speed that will slow down the connection. So having DSL normally is a Symmetric connection. Either way if you have 3 different devices sucking up bandwidth on a 8 Mbps connection then you will start slowing down for sure. Make sure your drivers are up to date on all your computers connected.

Back