Can a 1992 Mazda 929 use a universal strut assembly/ aftermarket preformance parts?

Willyboy

Dec 7, 2009
I have a 1992 Mazda 929 and no maker part retailer carries struts/shock absorbers for it, and show no brand substitutes in their computer systems. The repair shop i went to also tried to look and could only find parts that had to be ordered from the dealership and they wanted 170-300 a piece per strut depending on weather it was rear/driver ETC... when the estimate i got from the previous owner of the vehicle said that the parts were only $90, but apparently everyone has since ran out of stock. I have look everywhere to find them cheaper because i can definitely not afford $1200 just for parts on a used car i just bought. I have even looked online and prices have not seemed much better and i could only find the rear assembly and not front. However i just came across the Rancho brand shock absorber/strut assemblies in a parts search online and it was listed by them as acceptable parts for my vehicle because they are for universal use. they range from $40-150, which is much more reasonable. But how do i know if they will really fit my car? Just because they say they are universal does that mean that i can buy them and just have a repair shop put them on? or does the part really have to be mazda specific?

Back