Camper touring in New Zealand?

Laura

May 13, 2008
I have been looking forward to doing a tour of New Zealand in a rented camper van, but I have read that some criminals target camper vans parked up in remote locations. There have been robberies, rapes and even murders of tourists.
As I intend to travel alone (how sad am I?) I wonder if I should change my plans and go somewhere else?

No stick with your plans you have. These things have happened, but its very rare, you will be fine. On a whole New Zealand is quite safe, and you will find there will be more people who are willing to help you if you need it, we are a friendly bunch.

Your other answers are good. Just make sure you carry your passport on you and some money . Have a safe travel bag. Have a great time. i'm sure you will . keep some insect repellent in the camper. Don't be afraid there are plenty of places to stop if you want a nap during the day pull into the back of a fuel stop or picnic area where others are likely to be. People will be friendly. Just lock your van as there are opportunists out there but they are rare and hopefully you will never have a hassle.

Yes, there have been all of these things, but usually it gets in the news because it's not common. Anyway, just use your head and do what you'd do in your own country. Don't leave valuables visible from outside the van. Don't go down a dark alley in the middle of town after 10pm alone on the weekend. Stuff like that.
NZ is not a dangerous country. Criminals don't specifically target tourists here. Also we have like a million tourists a year. If you do the maths, you'll work out that the chances of a tourist dying in NZ is less than the chances of a local dying.

Back