Calling Ice Skaters!

Loaha

Mar 27, 2008
I got back on the ice the weekend for the first time in 8 years and fell flat on my face.
It didn't take too long to get back into it but I found after just a few laps I couldn't get my boots off quick enough. Foot cramp
The whole session was ruined with me having to get my boots off every 10 minutes before hitting the ice again

Are there any skaters here who can offer any suggestions as to what may cause foot pain/cramps?
My boots were the same as my shoe size so next time I will choose a size smaller incase it was due to the boots being too big. (though they didn't feel too big)
I did consider having my boots done up too tight but after loosening them as much as I could I still had the same problem.

Also, just a quick thought on 'falling properly' on ice. Would this be similar technique wise to break falling, or are the techniques completely different due to 'ice'?

Thanks in advance
V

I got my boots a size bigger, and wore thick socks to cushion the tightness. Never had any cramps.

Falling on ice, just dont hit your head I knocked myself out for 45mins that way....

oh, and remeber not to sprawl your fingers ... I nearly chopped some silly girls fingers off when she fell like that right in front of my blades....

I was thinking more of a size bigger myself, but apparently you need to go for at least half a size smaller and thick socks are a no-no

I hit my head too. The last time I went 8 years ago actually. It's horrible when you wake up and can't see isn't it

ahh, ya get used to it

weird on the sizes...who told you that? Anyone I ever skated with advised going bigger size.

Were you using hire skates V? I used to skate and had Ice Hockey skates which were much more comfortable and never had a problem really.
I think thick socks are quite important, but just try a few pairs on if you can to get the size right.Dont go for tying the laces too tight though as will cut off circulation etc.I think from what I remember hire skates are always and notoriously uncomfortable as they are figure skates so have a really thin sole and blade,whereas hockey skates have padding inside.

Aaaaw I want to go ice skating now.The last time I went was at uni on a trip to New York,in central park.

I found a uselful FAQ:

http://home.pacbell.net/anamga/intro.html

Has a section on new boots, falling, as well as loads of other stuff.

Cheers Sarge

Yes hire skates Su. I didn't have this problem years ago so maybe it's a simple case of getting used to the foot movements again After all the only thing I ever have on my feet is trainers or nothing(!)

It does seem skates should be that little bit smaller. I can't find any site that advises bigger (though as I said, I would have thought bigger too). And they all advise against thick socks too
Will see if there's anything about thick socks in that site sarge found...

I went ice skating last year for the first time ever. What a blast.
I had a few falls but overall I had fun. Like anything that involves movement and speed - it's best to let momentum carry you through.

Though I can see why it's not exactly the sport of choice for people in their 80's and 90's.

For the foot cramps - sounds like you just have weak foot muscles. Not used to the pressure being placed on them. If you can walk/job in sand that will help - surfers for instance have incredibly strong feet because of this and it's part of what helps them to control their surfboard.

As well - going barefoot helps to build strength in the feet.

There's ice skating right outside the building I work at now. They have it every year and I've yet to go on sober having paid for it...

LOL! You wouldn't happen to work at the Natural History Museum in London would you? Now that would be a coincidence.

No, no, I work in the Bioscience Centre of the Centre for Life attraction in Newcastle. I take it the NHM has the same dealy going on?

Yeah, last few years they've had people skating around on an outside rink. Looks pretty good. They have a big rink for normal skaters and a smaller practise rink for beginners.

I haven't ice-skated for years and I'm not very good. Last time I went though I managed to stay upright for the entire experience, even though I was only hobbling around for most of it.

Oh look...the zoo is in town...

*bashes fish boy and monkey boy out of the thread*

Yes you have a good point slip. I think the best bet will be to try the smaller size and it that doesn't help, look more at foot muscles.
To be honest when I went before I used to do a lot of inline skating too. Neither of which I've done since then It would make sense if it was down to the muscles.

Thanks for the suggestion

The boots that you borrow from the ice rink are crappy anyway. If you buy your own boots you're feet aren't as achy (sp?) and you can also get a better centre of balance whilst skating. The blades on the borrowed shoes are flat and naff really, meaning it's easier to fall. I think it's probably to do with getting used to it as well. My feet hurt if I don't skate for a while, but if I skate reguarly they don't ache as much.

The blades being thin doesnt help at all ( I have 4 skates though,obviously) and they are often in pretty bad condition too.
Ice hockey skates tend to be a bit broader and more comfortable. Often the insides of hire skates ( I cant write what we used to call them) are all worn out inside too meaning your feet rub a lot too.It will probably take you a while just for your feet to get used to it agian.

Been playing hockey for over 40 years. Skates are to be worn half to a full size smaller. The toes should touch the end of the boot or be slightly cramped. Wear thin or no socks. The laces should be tight enough to hold but not bind. The only place the laces need to be tight is around the ankles.

Back