Building a Small Block Chevy on a budget?

sonoma4bangin

Jul 23, 2008
I've got a 1994 GMC Sonoma with a 2.2L four cylinder... and a Borg Warner T-5. I'm looking at a doing a V8 swap. My 4 cylinder has 200,000km's on it and I'm paranoid.
Been wanting a V8 but trying to balance gas mileage and power.
I've been thinking of getting a rebuilt longblock 283 from S&S Rebuilt Auto Engines.. (dealt with em before. engines come with full Fel-Pro gaskets and a Melling oil pump)
My budget is going to be at least 2K for the whole engine setup, but I don't think any more than 3K.
The engine will cost about 1500 shipped to my door.
I want to go with a carburetor setup. I want a carb that will give me decent gas mileage and decent performance.
I'll need an intake and all the other stuff aswell. I'm trying to figure out how much the engine will cost me. I started looking at Summit Racing's website but there are so many options and parts made for the GM small block Chevy it confuses me.. I'm just lost.
Can you guys reccomend some parts for my build? I need specifics..
I'm going to be buying a Engine swap kit for my truck which will come with headers and engine mounts and stuff.
I want the simplest engine I can since its my first engine swap. However my dad has done six of these conversions and used to drag race locally and hes now a mechanic so I have some help.
I would like to get 200-250hp and 20mpg if possible, but really I just want something that makes more power than the 4 cylinder, and is reliable, and isn't horrible on gas (I know I wont get hybrid car mileage)
I have a junk 350 with a Rochestor Quadra Jet, but I think the carb isn't functional. It does have the tins such as valve covers and oil pan so if I have to I could use those.
You guys can contact me over Yahoo Messenger aswell...(which is also preferred.)
You can send an email aswell.. i'll try to provide any additional info you guys might need...

For the best reliability call GM. Get a straight replacement for a full sized truck. They make enough power to move a bigger truck. They get great milage IN a bigger truck. They're a "Small Block Chevy". Since you're going with a carb,opt for a 96 or later with the Vortec heads.Edelbrock sells the intake for that set-up.The vortec head is probably the best FACTORY head GM ever made. And on top of all of that they come with a GREAT warranty.If you already have a short block in mind,those heads sell for around $500.Your 283 won't make as much power,nor will it have the warranty,that you will get in a GM replacement 350.A holley 650,electric choke,vacuum secondary,carb can be had for next to nothing.You already have the people to help with the rebuild on the carb.The foctory 350 will probably cost a little more up front,but down the road when you want more power,the350 is already bigger than your 283.This sounds like a killer good time! I wish you luck! Now,get to work!

Back