BT homehub 2 and bittorrent slow download speeds help?

Tony

May 13, 2008
hi i just got with BT and i got a BT homehub 2. so i installed bittorrent and started downloading something and i am getting 3.0kb/s download speed, according to the homehub bittorrent is alowed through the firewall and i have turned the windows firewall off.
is their any way to speed up my downloads?

Hi mate, I feel your pain! I had the same problem but I seem to have fixed it by assigning my computer a static IP address outside of the routers DHCP range. If you dont know what this means then Ill break it down:

- Type 192.168.1.254 into a browser, this will open up your router settings.
- Click on Settings, then type in your user name and password, I think this is found on the back of the router itself.
- Go to: Advanced Settings/Home Network/IP Addresses, then make a note of the Start and End Address of the DHCP Server.
- Now you need to change your computers IP, so go into your internet connection properties (different methods depending on OS, if you dont know how to do this then I can go into more detail).
- Click on Internet Protocol Version 4, then Properties.
- Now manually enter an IP address that is outside the DHCP range but make sure it starts with the same 192.168.1.--- prefix, I used 192.168.1.5
- Type in 255.255.255.0 for the Subnet Mask, 192.168.1.254 for default gateway, and 192.168.1.254 for Primary DNS server, leave alternate DNS blank. Click Apply/OK.
- This should now set up a static IP for your computer that is outside the DHCP range. You can check it has applied the IP by looking in the router settings under Home Network then clicking on your computers name/MAC address.

To be honest, I dont really know how this worked but it did for me so give it a go! You can undo all of this by going back into your internet properties and setting it back to assign IP/DNS automatically in the IPv4 settings.

Back