Broken bones and Disney!!!

nickp

Feb 19, 2008
Hi,

Ok, we are booked to go to disney next weekend, only problem is, is that my daughter broke her arm last night, the hospital have said she is ok to fly but would she be able to go on any rides or is it better to just cancel? She's 6 by the way.

Ta

Disney has a few rides that will probably be too much for her at 6 anyway. The rides that she'd probably be into are the ones that a broken arm won't be an issue for. The only potential I can think of is if she's in any pain, that being a distraction/stressor for her. I know that stress added to overstimulation can be an issue for some kids!

But I wouldn't let it stop you. You know your daughter, and if she's game, I think she'll have a great time. Besides, not going on your family vacation may be adding insult to injury... literally.

Yeh if the doc didnt rule it out id just go for it!.

it will be nice for her, help her get over the broken arm. She would feel rotten if shes broken her arm and had her disney holiday cancelled!!...or dosent she know about it!? hehe.

If your daughter was older then I would suggest cancelling the trip and going next year which would mean a more enjoyable trip. Howver, 6 is the age where they generally learn to talk back so I would say go for it.

Most of the rides at Disney World are pretty tame and shouldn't be a big deal. The only one I would avoid is Mission: Space, because the last thing she wants is 6x her own body weight on her broken arm. Everything else should be pretty smooth physically, even Expedition Everest.

Go, have a good time. After a while, she'll forget her arm is even broken.

One other thing - it might be worthwhile to call ahead and make sure they will let her on the rides.

They will. I've been on Disney rides with various injuries/ailments before. If you're not bleeding all over the place or vomiting on stuff, you can go on anything you want.

Isn't there more to do at Disney than go on some rides anyway? I bet she'd love to meet all the characters and stuff. I'd go anyway and make the best of it.

Exactly!!

At that age, book a few meals with the characters at the different restaurants/hotels inside the park. As I recall, you can have breakfast with all the characters, or dinner inside Disney World with all the characters. Don't forget to see shows, music, etc. Most of the rides are just that.....rides - she stays seated and everything else moves.

Disneyland? I never even got that opportunity as a kid. I say go for it, broken bones or not.

I've never even been in a plane to be honest. A pretty sheltered life

Well all has been derailed!!

We are not going now, going to claim off the insurance and go later in the year

bloody kids!!

no, the doctor, advised against it, i couldnt talk to my wife i was that pissed off!!

For the best really, she will be able to go on everything now.

I guess so. I had a similar ' drama ' when I was like 12.

Me and mum and another family of friends were going up to Queensland for a 2 week holiday. We were saving cash and had everything banked up and calculated. Then at the last moment, they pulled out due to some argument with the husband

Plus we were sharing accommodation and had special discounts because we were 'all' going. Had to cancel the trip because it became too expensive.

I was boiling angry for ages.. I'd been thinking about that for months on end. Then just all came crashing down

I feel for you bro. At least you can enjoy the trip to it's fullest the next time around.

Best of luck

Cheers

Matt--

No offense, but your doctor is an idiot. I can't think of a single legitimate reason for saying you shouldn't go. If the plane was okay (as was previously said), then what in the world is going to hurt her? 3/4 of the stuff there is non-moving anyway!

Sure, go ahead and go to Disney and then tell her she can't ride any rides. She'll need therapy for life. I'd wait till it heals and go bonkers when you get down there.

Apparently my posts are invisible. There is only ONE RIDE she cannot go on, and even then she probably could. I have been on every ride that moves and not one poses any risk to a broken arm. It's only a question of pain. I went to Disney World at 5 years old with a broken collar bone and rode everything. I went three years ago with an ACL injury and rode everything. Apparently Disney World has become this place with 8000 thrill rides that shake and beat on you since I was last there TWO MONTHS ago.

Back