Brittney Griner files to have marriage to Glory Johnson annulled

admin

Administrator
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
WNBA star Brittney Griner has filed paperwork to annul her 29-day marriage to fellow WNBA All Star Glory Johnson, Griner confirmed to ESPN's Kate Fagan on Friday.
"Last Wednesday, Glory and I agreed to either legally separate, get divorced, or annul our marriage," Griner said in a statement to Fagan. "I can confirm that today I filed for an annulment. In the week prior to the wedding, I attempted to postpone the wedding several times until I completed counseling, but I still went through with it. I now realize that was a mistake."
Griner and Johnson married on May 8. On April 22, both were arrested on charges of domestic violence after police were called to their Arizona home.
A WNBA investigation concluded that their behavior was mutually "unacceptable." Each was suspended seven games.*
Johnson announced on Thursday that she would actually miss the entire season, as she is pregnant with the couple's first child. She made the announcement on Instagram, with the hashtag "WelcomeToTheJohnsonGrinerFamily."
In an exclusive interview with Sports Illustrated, Johnson also said that she was not the aggressor in the altercation.*
"I'm not going to throw Brittney under the bus ... and she's not going to throw me under the bus ... [but] what the [WNBA] did not say in the statements they released was that I pled not guilty," Johnson said. "... So for them to release a statement saying that we were both guilty in the situation, it's not right. It's not correct. ... Brittney pled guilty ... Brittney understands why I pled not guilty, and I understand why she pled guilty. ... She was even willing to speak to whoever she needed to, to get the point across."
In a statement released by the Tulsa Shock, Johnson added to her Instagram announcement, saying,*"The entire process, from learning our fertility options, to making sacrifices necessary nine months before the child is born, is merely preparing me to become a great wife and an even better mother."

Back