Brand NEW computer, won't start, two loud beeps, whining power supply?

gcelfdawg

Mar 11, 2011
We just bought a BRAND NEW computer about four days ago, HP Pavilion p6717c PC.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Today, the computer does not start right when we turn it on. Nothing whatsoever appears on the screen. Also, this computer was practically dead silent when it was working, but now it makes a whirring "running" sound (sorta sounds like the power supply of older computers). It's still a very quiet sound, but it's there when it wasn't before.

After several times of trying to turn it on, it began to make a beeping noise. I know there are different beeping codes that mean different things, but it is difficult to distinguish the length of beeps and the space between them. Especially since the first time we heard the beeps, it appeared to sound like a random, incomprehensible string of beeps of different lengths. But now the more we power up the computer, it is getting to be a consistent pattern. It appears to be two long beeps (about 1 or 1.5 seconds each) with about a 1 to 1.5 second space between each set of two beeps.

Even when off, the power supply makes a quiet but audible high-pitched whining sound that it didn't before. When off before, it was totally silent.

We tried unplugging and plugging the power supply, to no avail.

We took out the RAM and reinserted it in the same slots. It then started normally after we turned it on, saying Windows had recovered from an error but then proceeding to the way it did when it was working...everything working just fine.

After turning it off and turning it back on, it is repeating the same pattern as it did above. Weird sound, blank screen, no beeps... then turning it off and on again, it does the weird beeping thing, then off and on again later, the two long beep pattern.

Nobody at my house has done anything to it, really. We installed Eset NOD and that's about it. We haven't really had a chance to use it.

Other specs:
AMD Athlon II 640 Quad Core Processor
5GB DDR3 RAM
750GB hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics

Let me know if there's anything else I can provide

Is it at all possible that this computer is simply a dud and should be returned? Would love to fix it but I know there are duds sometimes. Freakin A!!! Brand new computer and this kind of stuff happening!!

Anyway,I'm sort of a beginner but I do LOVE to learn about computers, so any info would help :)
P.S. Thanks for nothing, DrDave. Where in my description did I say I did anything that could void the warranty? I'm not using the wires to tie my shoes, you jerk. All we did was unplug/replug power supply and take out/reinsert the RAM. Shabam. We didn't replace anything. Btw, a phone call with HP did not yield any resolutions, but they made it clear that we could take back the computer and get a new one.

On this note, maybe I should make myself clear... I am posting this mostly in curiosity and for the sake of learning about computers... I like to do everything to solve a problem BEFORE we give up and return the thing. I am just interested in hearing what people who are good at computers have to say (you guys rock). Hopefully something will help the situation. Thank you.

Back