"ban this sick filth"

"ban this sick filth"

personally, I think all daily mail readers should have to sign a register and wear some sort of star in public. Then, without telling them, we can round them all up into camps and... I just overstepped the bounds of good taste again, didn't I?

"ban this sick filth"

Bias is subjective and can't accurately be measured. You could insist that newspapers reported only the bare facts, but then there wouldn't be a need for more than one newspaper, which no one would bother to buy.

What the Daily Mail did was typically despicable, but I don't see a way to legislate for it.

"ban this sick filth"

true but can the same be said about measuring objectivity ? im not so sure.

even that would be an improvement, big improvement.

yeah so, why do we need anything but the facts ? there could be a publicly funded but independently ran from the state one, and anyone else can print what they wont as long as its made clearer to people that they can do so. why do you think no one would buy it ?

"ban this sick filth"

just in the interests of balance, I've come over all communist in another thread...

"ban this sick filth"

People don't buy the Daily Mail because they're in any way interested in news.

They buy it because they want their prejudices stoked with a side order of righteous indignation.

It's "entertainment" of the basest kind, not news.

"ban this sick filth"

I used to think that. Until I remembered that half the national media is owned by ONE man - Rupert Murdoch.

Freedom of the press? It's a joke mate. Half the media reports what one aussie billionaire wants it to.

We can't lose what we haven't got. The press in this country has always been controlled by a handful of exceedingly wealthy individials who ensure that ONE point of view and one only gets rammed down everyone's throats.

"ban this sick filth"

Tis nothing, I've said (jokingly) to colleagues an immediate cull of Daily Mail, Sun, and NOTW readers would really cut down the population. mind you we'd be left with the cheating bankers (rhyming innuendo intended). With the stunt the NOTW pulled on hacking they really need to do something, it's waaay beyond press freedom

"ban this sick filth"

There are already laws governing the actions of the media. The NOTW hasn't been allowed to get away with the voicemail hacking.

"ban this sick filth"

Banning it is not the answer - Boycott - and stop buying the trashy filth.

"ban this sick filth"

It'd be great if people would but sadly the Mail is the UKs second most popular paper (and over 50% readership female apparently. See, you are the more evil gender) and its beaten only by the Sun which is just celebrity scandal and a page of tits. Thing is a majority of people in the uk seem to be right leaning and the Mail panders to that perfectly. Any other websites headlines could be on the Libya intervention or something and DM's will be some bulldog that got slotted by someone vaguely brown.

"ban this sick filth"

I suspect that the cause and effect is the other way around. The majority of people only have access to right wing propaganda for information so they think that the right wing is the "sensible majority" and the left is the "lunatic fringe".

That's why elections are somewhat ridiculous in the UK, as there's such a disparity between the Tories and all the other parties in their ability to disseminate information and propaganda.

"ban this sick filth"

You're probably right but I enjoy slagging off Mail readers it gives me a sense of superiority for not being fooled like the rest of the sheep

Are tabloids naturally right wing? The papers I can think of (read: that I bother reading) that don't have that sort of sensationalist, populist, casually xenophobic vibe are the Guardian and the Independant. Guardian doesn't really count since it does the same thing just left leaning but both have a lot more stigma around reading them than the Sun or the Mail or the Mirror. As you say that could just be because there's more of Sun etc in circulation but could it also be people are less happy to be seen reading anything else so they get sucked into it?

"ban this sick filth"

see this is the problem it appears so on the outside, delve inside and it is a working class version of the daily mail spreading the same fears and misinformation as it does. its like a trojan horse.

a beautiful, beautiful Trojan horse. lol more and better education on how the media actually works is the only way to change things.

I dont think so no, is the mirror really that bad ? we have a red top tabloid up here called the daily record, if anything its actually probably slightly more leftist on the political scale. im sure there are others.

"ban this sick filth"

Does changing things mean getting rid of her?

The mirror isn't that bad really I just like doing lists of three and it was the first tabloid that came to mind.

Back