Audio HD Home Theater Hook up question?

CJ

Jun 2, 2008
Ok all you video and audiophiles out there. I have a quick question. I'm building my massive home theater system. TV is a Pioneer Elite Kuro display, Blu-Ray provided by Sony PS3, Fios HD DVR by Verizon. All connected by a Yamaha RX-V1900 and some really really nice speakers. My basic question is this if I connect the HDMI out from the cable in to the receiver and out to the TV, does the receiver need to be on for me to watch the TV or will it just pass the signal through without the receiver being on. This is important because there are times (6 in the morning watching local news) that I don't need 2000 watts of 5.1 sound nor do I need full upconverted 1080p video. I'd like to just watch the tv and use the TVs own baby 18w speakers and 2channel audio.
I know I can directly connect the cable box to the TV (TV has 4 HDMI 1.3a inputs), but HD content from cable is delivered at 1080i and the receiver upconverts to 1080p. So I'd like to keep it permanently connected to the receiver. I really would like to not turn on the A/V receiver and all the speakers everytime I wanna catch a quick traffic report. I would however like to watch the big game in full 1080p HD and 5.1 sound .Anyone have any insight?

Back